Upgrading MM E -1000 electric bikes to Lithium ion batteries.

I74

Edit:

In my post #138 about swapping the yellow & green connector pin positions on the Hall sensor connector,, you only swap the pins in ''one'' of the connector half's.
Should of made it more clear there, but ran out of edit time.:rolleyes:
Now you have yellow to green, & green to yellow.;)

Last edited:

I74

Chargers that came with Fred's packs, only charge the packs up to 53v ea. for some reason...
Full charge on these packs is 54.6 v.
I found a real decent Li 48v. charger w/ built in fan from [vruzend.com] for $43.95 shipped to the US lower48.
I believe the vendor is here in the US, & that charger is supposed to charge the packs up to the full 54.6v.
Basically you can initially use the 2 other chargers @ the same time to get the 53v. , then use the vruzend peak charger, to top them off each to 54.6v.

The chargers on our 36v. bike, both charge the packs up to the full 43.2v. ea.
Don't know why Fred's chargers won't peak charge also? :rolleyes:
Vruzend-charger-product-photo.jpg

Last edited:

I74

Fred & I went for an ''epic'' cruise Thurs ., when it was almost 70*f out that aft.
Run times on both electrics,, we got around 50 min. & had some to spare.
It was also really cool that we got to cruise some of the bike paths,, & knew that know body could say 'Jack squat' about it ! :p
These bikes are no more illegal than electric bikes, or electric skate boards ect.;)

I

Last edited:
...The plan is to replace these with 2 - 36 volt 10s 4p ''10amp'' lithium ion packs with built in ''BMS'' circuitry, & run them parallel.
The BMS is a circuit board that is integrated on top of each pack under the shrink wrap covering.
It monitors the voltages of the pack, & has protection circuitry against over charge, & discharge.
Each pack has 40 lithium ion ''AA'' size cells, that are divided up in a combination of 10 sets of 4 that are wired together in parallel, 3.7 - 4.2 volts a set.
They in turn are wired in series of 10, to make 36 - 42 volts. ''42 volts fully charged''. ''4.2 times 10'' = 42 volts
Do you see an issue with just going with one of the larger 36v AH batteries (e.g. 20AH) from Aliexpress? My SLA batteries are no longer "S" and are deader than a doornail, so I figured I'd just go with a lithium replacement.

Thanks for all the info, very thorough. Sorry to bump old thread.

I74

Do you see an issue with just going with one of the larger 36v AH batteries (e.g. 20AH) from Aliexpress? My SLA batteries are no longer "S" and are deader than a doornail, so I figured I'd just go with a lithium replacement.

Thanks for all the info, very thorough. Sorry to bump old thread.
Hi Gerald, :)

No problem posting on an old thread,, that's why they are still here. ;)

SLA batt's are not designed from the get go, for ''constant''- hi drain & recharge.
That's pretty much why you see jump packs with them, ''that are used a lot',,' generally not lasting very long ...

One 36v 20ah pack would work just fine, as long as it's a ''10s 8 p''.
You wouldn't have to make a Y harness either.

That pack might cost you more than 2 - 36v ''10s 4p'' ones though.

Have to be careful though with getting them from ali,, because they are '' often not'' actually what they are advertised.
Meaning ,, a description with a 12ah rating,, might actually only be 10ah ''or far less'' ect.
It's a roll of the dice,, per say.

I would look on e-bay if I was you,, because e-bay will generally refund your money if you receive something that is not as advertised.
Have had that happen a few times,, & the vendors in the ''far east'',, generally don't offer return shipping labels ,, & then e - bay will step in & give you a full refund,, & you get to ''keep the item anyways'' .;)

e-bay calls that ''negligence'' on the vendors part.

Almost forgot to mention,,

Found an E - bike vendor in Cali the other day,, that offers ''real nice'' 36v 10 &15ah packs, with XLR charge jacks, & really nice frame work for the cells,, ,with grade A 2500ma cells,, plus integrated BMS in the outer frame work also.
Also comes with a nice charger.
The vendor is : ''Cycling battery club'', & I did find them on e - bay. lol

I would ''definitely'' check them out.
A bit spendy,, but you will ''definitely'' get ''quality stuff'' that ''is'' actually as advertised.
The 10ah is like $185,, & the 15ah is around 220 something,, with free ship.
Won't have to wait 2 months to get it either,, as it's USA stock.

2 of those 10ah ones in parallel,, would be the cat's meow.
2 of the 15ah ones in parallel,, would be the ''whole cat''. :cool:

If I would of found them when I was shopping for myself,, I would have pulled the trigger on their stuff in a second.

You ''definitely'' want to use XT-90 ''anti spark'' connectors,, ''like I do'',, regardless on what you get.

Lastly,,
You will probably shed ''at least'' 15 lbs. of the top of that bike, getting rid of the SLA's.
That in turn will lower the center of gravity on the bike, & will make it ride & handle ''noticeably'' better.

I

Last edited:

I74

Added,,
I might of found one of the ''supposed'' 36v 20ah packs on ali.
It's a LiitoKala 36v 20 ah, that's configured as a 10s 6p.
To make 20ah,, each of those ''series'' sets of 10 cells, wired in ''parallel'' 6 times,, would have to have cells that are ''at least'' 3,300ma ea.
3,300 times 6 = 19,800
For $137 dollars,, I seriously doubt that those packs actually have that high of ma - ''milli amp'' cells in them.

1000ma = 1 amp

The way amp hrs. of a battery is configured is :
Say your battery has an ''ah'' rating of 20 ah.
That means the fully charged battery should be able to have ''pulled from it'' 20 amps ''constant'' for 1hr. before it runs out of charge.

For kicks,, I just wanted to through this last half of info out to anyone that didn't know. :)

Last edited:
Added,,
I might of found one of the ''supposed'' 36v 20ah packs on ali.
It's a LiitoKala 36v 20 ah, that's configured as a 10s 6p.
To make 20ah,, each of those ''series'' sets of 10 cells, wired in ''parallel'' 6 times,, would have to have cells that are ''at least'' 3,300ma ea.
3,300 times 6 = 19,800
For $137 dollars,, I seriously doubt that those packs actually have that high of ma - ''milli amp'' cells in them.
1000ma = 1 amp
The way amp hrs. of a battery is configured is :
Say your battery has an ''ah'' rating of 20 ah.
That means the fully charged battery should be able to have ''pulled from it'' 20 amps ''constant'' for 1hr. before it runs out of charge.
For kicks,, I just wanted to through this last half of info out to anyone that didn't know. :)
Thanks! Yeah some of these guys have some pretty wild claims.
The Cali battery you mentioned seems similar to this one
https://www.amazon.com/UnitPackPower-Battery-Electric-Scooters-Protection/dp/B08CZ6H7P9?th=1
probably same supplier. Too rich for my blood though. Not really my hobby just yet so I will probably just have to get burned (so to speak) by some cheaper options first.

I74

Thanks! Yeah some of these guys have some pretty wild claims.
The Cali battery you mentioned seems similar to this one
https://www.amazon.com/UnitPackPower-Battery-Electric-Scooters-Protection/dp/B08CZ6H7P9?th=1
probably same supplier. Too rich for my blood though. Not really my hobby just yet so I will probably just have to get burned (so to speak) by some cheaper options first.
You found them cheaper, & also pretty much the same ones.

That 36v ''20ah'' one for $219 & free ship, is a ''hell of a deal'', ' if it is actually $219, like the 15ah one.
It's a no brainer even if it is just a few bucks more than the 15ah one.
Plus the savings in aspirin ect.,, from not getting potential headaches ect,, in getting hosed,, from the ''Far east.''

One of those would work nicely with a stock MM - E-1000 power set up. ;)
Getting rid of the 3 - SLA's & steel batt. case ect.,, & running that one pack,, would shed around 20lbs. off the bike, ''if that's what you have''.

If you are seriously looking @ like the $137 ones from Ali,, I ''guarantee'' you won't be happy with it for long,, & would of wished you payed the bit extra for the ''killer priced'' one with the actual grade ''A'' cells, & quality charger. ect.

I

Last edited:
You found them cheaper, & also pretty much the same ones. That 36v ''20ah'' one for $219 & free ship, is a ''hell of a deal'', ' if it is actually $219, like the 15ah one. It's a no brainer even if it is just a few bucks more than the 15ah one. Plus the savings in aspirin ect.,, from not getting potential headaches ect,, in getting hosed,, from the ''Far east.''
One of those would work nicely with a stock MM - E-1000 power set up. ;)
Getting rid of the 3 - SLA's & steel batt. case ect.,, & running that one pack,, would shed around 20lbs. off the bike, ''if that's what you have''. If you are seriously looking @ like the $137 ones from Ali,, I ''guarantee'' you won't be happy with it for long,, & would of wished you payed the bit extra for the ''killer priced'' one with the actual grade ''A'' cells, & quality charger. ect.
I
about the same price I think. The 15ah is 219, but the 20ah jumps up to $264.

I was looking at eBay per your suggestion, and this guy says these are 10s8p / 80 cells and ship from US:

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5335845805&icep_item=203345128465

I might just go with the amazon one for an extra $35 and be done with it. Or, you know, get started on it.

I74

about the same price I think. The 15ah is 219, but the 20ah jumps up to $264.

I was looking at eBay per your suggestion, and this guy says these are 10s8p / 80 cells and ship from US:

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5335845805&icep_item=203345128465

I might just go with the amazon one for an extra $35 and be done with it. Or, you know, get started on it.

I wouldn't go with that one Gerald,, you don't know what the cells actually are ect., & the power wires look like really small gauge. .

The 10s 8p ones from Cycling batt. club on E-bay,, are supposed to have 2500ma ''grade A'' - ''Golisi G25'' cells in them, & the wires look ''a lot'' more stout also.

Those cells sell for around 13 bucks a pr. in the smoke shops.
That's right up there with some of the LG's, Samsung's ,, & Sony's ,ect.
The packs you found on Amazon with the XLR jacks ,that look the same,, probably are.
Definitely what I would go with,, & the reviews I've read on those packs are pretty darn good. ;)
Just verify with the seller that they have the Golisi G25 - 2500ma cells in them.

I pretty much have my Buddy talked into 2 of the 48v ''50amp'' versions,, for our next E- Kart project.

Let me know what you end up with.

I

Last edited:
Every time someone revives this thread, I get the bug to work on mine. Then I go to YouTube and start watching videos of electric conversions. It seems I always end up watching videos of the Rion electric scooter. Man that thing is CRAZY!, 80Mph top speed on a stand up scooter... Geez!, it will literally burn rubber (both tires) from a 40Mph roll!.

I74

Every time someone revives this thread, I get the bug to work on mine. Then I go to YouTube and start watching videos of electric conversions. It seems I always end up watching videos of the Rion electric scooter. Man that thing is CRAZY!, 80Mph top speed on a stand up scooter... Geez!, it will literally burn rubber (both tires) from a 40Mph roll!.
Those things are ''sick'' !!
Talk about another level of the phrase ''death machine'' ! :eek:
Then you got that one dude in a vid I watched,, running down the highway with shorts on & no knee pads.
That's what you call - ''all stones & no brains''.
Obviously he's never went down on concrete before ...
I've had some doozy's on motorcycles ect.,, even with wearing levi's, boots,, & chaps ect.,,, I still got road rash pretty good on my legs ect.
You only have 7 layers of skin,, & I see motorcycle ect. vids like this,, all the time,,, with the rider hardly having any clothes on.
Surprised the Guy didn't have flip flops on also...
Stupid @$$. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

I74

Just got done doing what I call a - ''Stage 3'' upgrade on the MM-1000.

My Buddy Fred just picked up 4 - ''48v'' - 13s6p - electric mobility/ wheel chair Li hard case packs,, with the 18650 cells being grade ''A'' 2600ma.

When I did the 36v -1000w brushless conversion,, I actually configured a 36 - 48v self learning ''smart controller''.

Because of this, I can run a 48v Li battery/ batteries.

The 36v brushless motor can safely be over volted at least 2 fold with out hurting it.
They call that ''over volting'' a brushless motor.

Anyways,, I put that pack in & tried it out.
''It frigg'n flies'', & pretty much keeps up now with Freds 48v - 1800w set up, on his bike ! :p
With the 3 speed switch,, it will pull a 7% grade now in 2nd speed position,, & keep on accelerating!

I have it geared now @ 7 - 1,, from the 6.5 - 1,, & really like it,, as I weigh around 210.
The 7 - 1 gearing, makes it run more efficient & cooler anyways,, & it's still hitting 35+ ''easy'',, in the 3rd speed position, ''on a flat''..
That brushless motor ''now'' in 3rd. speed,,, & free rolling,, is hitting ''well over'' 5500 rpm's, & won't hurt it a bit,, as long as the sealed precision shaft bearings can handle it,, which I don't think they should have a problem.

Since the Wifey won't ride it,, I figured that I would throw some more performance goodies @ it,, to please myself. ;)
Also put a Sun-F -A021 street tire on the front.
''That tire is awesome'',, & I plan on getting one more for the back of it,, plus one for the rear of my GX-200. :cool:

That bike is a ''ton of fun'' now, & ''definitely'' a keeper,, plus you can pretty much ride it anywhere with out getting into trouble.
It's really no more illegal than an electric bicycle, or stand up scooter.

I
100_6720.JPG

Last edited: