vent holes in frame?

I have welded up a lot of deck gates, truck racks etc. Always drill a small hole in the lowest part for moisture to drip out. Seen several metal handrails that didn't have them that formed water inside, froze and swelled up like a balloon to the point of splitting. I do live in Arizona but it is northern Az and we get below zero now and then. Is it a common practice to drill holes in bike frames? Or because most are stored indoors it is not an issue? Rust seems to always form around these holes on gates, so hate to add them if not needed.

The Trail Horses and Trail Blazers I've had all do have a hole above each rear shock mount on the frames, the swing arms have a gap/opening where they are crimped down flat. I wondered if that was what they were for. The frost gets to everything out doors up here. Everything that the salt doesn't get to first that is.

a lot of chassis fabricators will drill holes to relieve the pressure when welding tube junctions closed. the pressure will build and blow out your puddle just as you finish the weld...

IMG_6932.jpg