Vintage Open - mrpat's TT500 - 2up Rupp

Finishing up on the front brake assembly. I only have 1 Rupp brake caliper so I am leaving that for the rear.

For the front, I used a "universal" caliper that OldMiniBikes Warehouse sells. I had to customize it a little with a flap disk to get it to fit, but it seems to work good. I also had to cut and re-weld the brake arm on the caliper since it was 45° out of position.

I made a cable holder thingy that the cable mounts to. Last thing to do on the front brakes is to shorten the cable about 18". The trick is going to be making a new lead end for the cable but I think I can do it.

Pat,

Don't mess with lead. Make the cable end out of bar stock like in drawing.

You can use a set screw instead of the screw shown for a cleaner look. Just sllde the cable thru the center hole in the barrel and pinch it tight with the screw. This set up is a old emergency fix for motorcycles that broke a cable out on the road.

Keep up the good work.

O.J.

Last edited:
Pat,

Don't mess with lead. Make the cable end out of bar stock like in drawing.

You can use a set screw instead of the screw shown for a cleaner look. Just sllde the cable thru the center hole in the barrel and pinch it tight with the screw. This set up is a old emergency fix for motorcycles that broke a cable out on the road.

Keep up the good work.

O.J.
Thanks for the tip! I think I have one of those that is used for a band brake setup but I will have to look.

Thanks for the tip! I think I have one of those that is used for a band brake setup but I will have to look.
OldMiniBikes also sells compression cable stops which I think are for karts...are pretty cheap and I plan on using them. Keeps everything in line.

The bike looks absolutely awesome!

Last edited:
Have used this set-up for years on brand new custom bike builds that had drag bars on them because the stock cable were too long and these allowed us to shorten the cables up easily for a cleaner look.

We would also silver solder the cable into the barrel along with the set screw for added security and never experienced a failure with this set-up.

O.J.

Been working on other projects while working on this one. Was able to get out to the garage and make some rear brake components. Luckily I have the front stuff to mimic. Got the 'ol grinder out and some scrap steel and started choppin'.

Well I gave it a valiant effort, but I am not going to be able to complete this one in time. Count me as "Dropped"

I did get the rear brake working though!

The last things that still need done are:
2 seats.
clutch cover.
put the engine back together.
buy 2 gears for the jack shaft.