VINTAGE Racing Go Karts

I know this is a long video but its worth watching :thumbsup:
Because we all have a surgical probe on hand, when it's a good day. :wink: But I'll bet that dampened rear end did help a lot on vibrations. Nice that its just 4 bolts to remove for repair/maint too!

Great lil video to have my morning coffee too!

Rustty- that's a purdy looking R1. Something that pretty would be hard for me to drive....:blink:

oldsledz

I got this one at a auction today, I am pretty sure it is a Rupp, I would welcome any info anyone can give me on it.

It has been sitting in a barn for many years, I think these are Rupp turbine wheels, the tires are Carlisle double indian head racing slicks.
The engine is a Mac 91, with a Max torque clutch with the old advertising on it.

Last edited:
That's a nice ride there "oldsledz"....:thumbsup:

It does have the look of a Rupp from the karts that I looked at yesterday.... It was sad to see this happen. A "A-BONE" went for a ride when the brakes failed.....

..... And ripped off the driver's side of the front end. the owner is now switching to disc brakes and blowing off the band brake that was correct for the kart :shrug:

i spent yesterday at the VKA event at the "BLUE MAX" go-kart track in Davis, Ca. :thumbsup: It was very cool.... I joined up....got some "T-Shirts" and I picked up some tires from "Vintage Speed" so my "RS2000" will have the CORRECT tires on it.....

"Slack Back Jack" had "GUS" repop these vintage Carlisle tires that were used back in the day on vintage karts.... They are sweet looking, and they are the CORRECT tires for many karts. The rears are 11x4.50-5 and the fronts are 11x3.50-5.... Both rears & fronts are matching:thumbsup: I bought the rears and "GUS" was out of the fronts and will have his next shippment comming in at the end of the month (June) if not sooner :shrug:

Speaking of "GUS" here's a link to his web site.....VINTAGE SPEED and here's a few pictures of his 1958 FLEX-O Go Kart "KIT" that he welded together back in the 60's and still has the kart to this day :thumbsup:....

BC1500 DAVE :thumbsup:

Robert Stanton. He owns Robron (the reproduction Rupp A-bones) and I believe he has most if not all of the parts you would need. 843 862 4559

1972(I think) Margay Cheetah mk2. I picked this one up for free from a coworker. I'm pretty sure that someone at some point in time stretched the rear of the frame.

Thanks ,I wasnt sure he was still in business,I never could find a number.
That is a fair question. I believe he is still in bussiness but you might just have to give him a call to find out, OR you could just sell me the kart and save yourself all of the trouble.:laugh:

KK, did you buy that margay from Mike at the hotdog hut? I was in love with that thing. I wish I never sold my Margay Kart that I had when I was a kid, ad to my list of regrets.

KK, did you buy that margay from Mike at the hotdog hut? I was in love with that thing. I wish I never sold my Margay Kart that I had when I was a kid, ad to my list of regrets.
yeah I actually traded him a bike for it....finding out that was a serious racing kart for it's time..not going to restore it just clean it and get it running it's a nice survivor.:thumbsup:

here's a pic of a new '67.....

Mine has the quick change and wet clutch box ...and an old chrome floor tank which I think looks a hell of a lot better than the plastic tank....I wish i could find the original front curved aluminum nose bracket...
I talked with both Keith Freber and Jack Murray and they confirmed it is a very early production kart (only the earliest ones had the aluminum seat pan) and the floor tank and Butterfly wheel could possibly be original to it since they were made to order...

The quick change box was/ is an engineering marvel...only one gear gets changed along with a matching bearing casette which maintains the proper gear lash..the seat frame portion is independently mounted on rubber cushions and the entire back half of the kart is cushioned to articulate up and down...that spring loaded gadget on the side behind the seat absorbs the engine torque ....very advanced for its time this kart destroyed the competition when it was introduced....

Last edited:
I love Margays. I recently picked up this original Cheetah Mark 3. This one is not getting a restoration. I am going to get it running and make a usuable vintage race kart out of it.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us