Welding and a Pacemaker

I want to thank everybody for all of the well wishes. What a group. I think with the power of you guys (and girls) behind me this may just turn out OK.

SOOO....here's the news from this afternoon. They are NOT putting in a pacemaker defibrillator unless things deteriorate badly. They seem to feel the heart will recover without much loss so chances are very high that won't happen. The reason they want to pace it is because of a bundle block. No signal to the ventricles except the initiating signal from the AV node. Neither left or right ventricle is getting full signal. The thought is to determine if I need one during and just after surgery. 50-50 chance.

I asked about the welding and the Doc did not realize. Well that wasn't comforting. He did clear me for MIG if i follow the Medtronics recommendations and felt I should probably have little or no problems.

Encouraging news I thought. Welding isn't necessarily an activity I have to give up yet. I was pleased with the answer. I will speak to them again at a follow up visit just to make sure but looks maybe good to go.

I really appreciate the thoughts and the experiences of the group. I think the most important thing was that this thread gave me a series of questions to ask to get a reasonable answer. Thanks guys.

WINDBER!!!

Doc

Last edited:
Awesome! I mean if you can't do it then I guess you can't. But if there is a possibility that you don't have to give something up you love, then why give it up.

Maybe if you Mig and it only tingles a little bit... you might have a nice weave pattern to the bead.... As long as you don't shake to bad... Well maybe.... Just might give you a nice natural rhythm...

I knew a guy that worked on magnetos for old tractor and cars for years. After he had his pacemaker put in, he quit that. Not sure if he lost interest or decided it wasn't a good idea to mess that much voltage ( fraction of an amp) with a wire hooked o his heart. Either way, I hope this turns out good for you. I wish you a speedy recovery. I want to see the Fox done:biggrin:

MikeBear

Have you ever watched the Clint Eastwood movie "A Fistful of Dollars"?

So, you make yourself a steel plate body armor, and wear it to stop any induction fields from bothering you. There's also a thing called a "Faraday Cage" that you could build out of metal mesh and put the welder into, and it should stop any RF from getting out of the cage.

Build Your Own Faraday Cage. Here?s How.

Last edited:
My dad's got a pacemaker/defibrillator and owns an automotive collision repair shop. his doc told him to not even stand in front of a car with the hood up and engine running! :blink: He told the doc, "Do you know what I do for a living?" the doc said, "sounds like you're retired!" HAHA!! Dad's 73, had his implant for 9 years and the only thing he doesn't do is weld. But the welders in the shop are not home sized units. Shoot, he's got a spot welder that when you hit the trigger, the leads jump in the air! Used to just throw them over his shoulder and hit the trigger, but now he maintains a healthy distance from that one! :thumbsup:

Hope your surgery went well and your recovery is short!