Welding and a Pacemaker

Well........

Looks like my heart took me out of the build off this year. I had a Fox Campus to do and unfortunately (or fortunately, depending on how one views it :eek:hmy:) I will have to have open heart on February 2nd.

So I have been advised they will implant leads for a pacemaker. Oh joy!! That may end my welding career. What research I have done is that the consensus is no more welding.

My question to the group is; Has anyone had a pacer implanted and still mig welds. Any problems, any advise on how to do it? Any info at all from experience.

Thanks

Doc

Wow Doc , sorry to hear about your upcoming surgery but you're a young man and will bounce back in no time , Can't help you with the welding advise ( better make good friends with a welder quick ) but certainly will pray for you to have an easy time with surgery and a speedy recovery !

I am sorry to hear about your welding career possibly ending :sad:, but I am also glad to hear there is a solution to your health issues. :smile:

Pat

bikebudy

Banned - Must pay $500
Get well soon, as for the welding, I'd be asking the doctor OR the Builder / maker of the device, it's your best bet.

doc -

a few years ago i designed an implantable cardiac device. we powered and charged the internal
battery through an inductive coupling loop. this lessened the frequency of surgery
to replace batteries etc. the magnetic field of this charger was in very close proximity
to the device (and body) and was a very dense magnetic field. the field was more energetic than
any far field emf generated by a welder or chain saw but it never caused any equipment
or probe problems. no i am NOT a Doctor or a Lawyer, but, if i had to guess some lawyer
feared damages or tort as a result of someone arc welding steel using their
sternum as a welding table.

:thumbsup:

phil

Its a no go on welding with one. The guy that I apprenticed under to get my electrical license had one and it would "kick off" (his words) any time he got too close to a big transformer, gen set, or welder and put him on his knees. Said it felt like being kicked in the chest by a mule.

Doc, I am sorry to hear this, but gratified to hear there is a solution for your health.

In looking around the ol web, it appears that Phil is calling it right, re a "CYA" statement. They are "recommending" you don't exceed 160 amps with your welder. Your Lincoln 140 isn't going to do that.

On the other hand, this would be a good time to sell that off, and get yourself an oxy acetylene set up. You have my best wishes Doc. I'd take the advice and not mess around with it. Dave.

I have a friend that comes by sometimes that has one and I make him stand across the room when I'm TIG welding. So he asked his doctor and he told him to stay five feet away from the MIG welder itself but not to worry about welding with the gun, and to stay five feet away from the TIG welder itself and to stay two feet away from me when I'm TIG welding especially when I'm welding steel and I have the high frequency start on. But he's been know to be full of it so you better ask your doctor and do some research. I hope this is not the end of your welding....I love to weld....

Oye!!

Well dang.

Dave, I am coming to the realization I may have to stay away. It looks like everyone and every machine has a different reaction. I guess it's the better part of valor to stay away. I have spent a lifetime welding for fun and to help others. I just can't see not doing it anymore. Cattailhaas, I do love it so.

To every one who responded I am thankful and grateful for ALL of the answers.

AND...for all the well wishes, thank you. Hopefully I can have a normal life span now and I can keep fooling with these things :laugh::laugh:.

I'll see all of you on the other side of the procedure. Just got my lift chair an hour ago. I have a few more things I have to do and another 10 hour day at the Clinique on Monday and I am ready to go. Save a minibike or two for when I get back! You all on this board have made life over the last few years just great.

My next goal in life is Windber!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

P.S. Dave, I got the torches 30 years ago! Oxy it is lol

Doc

Last edited:
Good attitude Doc! For those who don't know Doc that well, and since he doesn't like to talk about himself, he does a lot of cool mini bike things with the neighborhood kids, and many look up to him as somewhat of a Father figure. Sorry Doc. :thumbsup:

Doc; I might suggest you query your cardiologist. You posted they were going to implant leads for a pacemaker. You didn't say they were implanting a pacemaker. This might be telling you that they're planning for the future, but you don't need a pacemaker at this time. If that's the case, it makes sense that they'd do it while you're under, and not have to open you up that much if you need more at a later date.

Just sayin'.....Roger

Hey Doc, As you already know; I had a pacemaker implanted after my open heart surgery back in June. I've been TIG welding ever since and haven't had any problems whatsoever. You'll be able to feel if you are having any problems when you're welding. At the very least they will catch any abnormalities on the printout sheet that they take every 90 days. I bought an led flashlight the other day and in the box was a set of instruction that said people with pacemakers should not operate this flashlight. Looks like I'm going to have to stock up on candles now. Good luck on your procedure. I'll give you a call in a day or two. Ogy

Doc, My wish for you is a good Doctor and a speedy recovery. I hope all goes well.

As for inquiring with the Cardiologist pertaining to welding he probably is going to give you a HUGE CYA answer of NO.

My Welding question has always been about welding with contacts. I have been told that it will dry the lenses out and they will be stuck to the eye. My Optimologist was dumbfounded when I asked this question. He had no clue. BUT he went to great lengths to find out for me and the answer is NO it will not cause the lenses to dry out. So if your Cardiologist will or has already consulted the Cardiology community you will get a straight answer.

Above Ogy states what he is doing so it does give hope and I would think Tig welding with high frequency would be the worst there is for affecting a pacemaker.

You are in our thoughts and prayers,

Doug

Last edited:
Doc.

If the surgery keeps you with us i can't see it as a bad thing. They'll always be someone who can weld for you.
Take care be safe and positive.

Good luck Sir

I'm not a doctor nor do I have a pacemaker or know anything about them but I did do a quick Google search and found some info that may be useful to discuss with your doctor.

Medtronic Cardiac Devices EMC Guide - Frequently Asked Questions

Sounds like you can possibly weld with a smaller welder. Seems like similar precautions with using a microwave oven. I'm certain a pacemaker of today it far different than one from 10...20...30 years ago too.

Last edited: