welding on minibike question

Can I weld on my minibike with the engine still mounted? Its a plastic gas tank (with gas inside) and I want to weld a nut for a bolt next to the rear axle, some front and rear fenders and extend one of tge foot pegs. I really don't want to remove the engine but if I have to I will....

Last edited:

Bruceo

Cover the motor/gas tank with a spark blanket or a wet towel. we weld around gas tanks all the time,As long as you're not welding right next to it you should be ok. Have a fire extinguisher handy,,just in case.

oldfatguy

Cover the motor/gas tank with a spark blanket or a wet towel. we weld around gas tanks all the time,As long as you're not welding right next to it you should be ok. Have a fire extinguisher handy,,just in case.
good advice, yes cover the engine and tank with a wet towel because even a slight gas leak could catch fire

All good suggestions. I'd like to offer one more. Don't get preoccupied with your welding and inadvertently tilt the bike over in order to get a better welding position. Fuel leaking out of the tank will soak the towel and then you'll have a molotov cocktail. Believe it or not; a full tank is less explosive than an empty one. Ogy

Bruceo

And if you do decide to be lazy and not take the motor off..do it outside..bad enough you might catch on fire,,you don't want to burn down your house also. :laugh:

And if you do decide to be lazy and not take the motor off..do it outside..bad enough you might catch on fire,,you don't want to burn down your house also. :laugh:
Yeah, I just bought it this April......but my house is fully protected.......damn. With all of these good reasons I guess its time to remove it. I didn't want to because 2 of the nuts to secure the engine are almost stripped and its a PITA to remove and then and re install. I haven't gone to buy new ones yet but I finally have some days off from my job so I should be able to now