Weldking micro mini

This build started life at the first of this year in the build off with a weldking micro mini frame and a predator 79cc engine. I never actually started on the bike and I never finished the other two bikes I started for the build off. Life got hectic when I decided to go to college at the age of 31 and within the first week of school my wife and I found out we were expecting child number two. All minibike activities stopped immediately as I had to focus on the tasks at hand. In the last few weeks, with my first semester of school ending, I've started slowly working on a couple projects again, the micro bike being one of them. My 4 year old son has started taking an interest in mechanical stuff (which has made my heart swell with pride), so this has become our first father/son project.

Progress has been pretty steady so far with putting together the rolling frame, then fabricating the gas tank mounts(a blatant rip off of manchester1's tank mounts), mounting the engine, and fabricating a header. Next step will be making a chain tensioner and a kickstand, then filling with fluids and taking a test ride before I blow it apart for paint. I'm expirementing with a thumb throttle since this will be my son's first bike and he's used to a battery powered lightening McQueen quad with thumb accelerator. This thing has been a blast so far and I can't wait to finish it.

Attachments

I really like this frame. Is the chain tensioner necessary? Wouldn't it be a little easier and simpler to notch out the engine plate?
The tensioner is more for adjustability than any thing. There's practically no room to move the engine, therefore I didn't slot the bolt holes when I drilled the engine plate. The tensioner will take up the slack.

Cpl2442

Sweet looking bike and great job on the fabrication! My 2-year old daughter likes to be in the shop with dad, I know the feeling of working on stuff with your kids. Besides the missing wrenches! :laugh:

Made up the new breather assembly this weekend from a kitchen sink stopper. Also cleaned up the welds on the header and shot a little header paint on it...sorry no pic of it. I cut a chain tension off of an old motovox frame that I'm not using anymore and I got it mocked up on the frame and ready to weld on. Next step is sorting out a kickstand.

Attachments

Finally got the kickstand welded on this evening. The bike is standing on it's own legs now and is ready to take apart and start the paint the process. I stole the kickstand and the chain tensioner from an old motovox and they both fit perfectly. I'm still indecisive on a color scheme, so I'm open to suggestions.

Attachments

It's looking good. Your heel will rest against the clutch. :laugh: From USMC days, we used to joke about putting ten pounds of s$it in a five point bag. These mini frames remind me of that.

I always recommend resale red for those who cant come up with a color. :) In your case, the answer is simple. Grab the kid, hit Ace, and have him chose a color. If you're going automotive, same thing, only with the chip book, ensuring you stay in the red section, LOL.

Thanks for the encouragement guys! I started the bike a few nights ago and ran the engine for the first time. The header makes the little 79cc sound wicked. If I knew how to post a video I'd share a short clip of it running. I picked up the paint for the bike today after going back and forth on colors. I'll keep the paint color secret until finished.

Hi Slick: Bike looks nice. Paint looks super. I've got one of those Weldking's. Not sure, but I think it may have been the last one Evan built. Funny that it's been sitting downstairs in my heated basement since I got it. I stare at it every time I go down there. (ha) So many other on-going projects, sometimes it feels like I'll never get to it. Oh well.

Hi Slick: Bike looks nice. Paint looks super. I've got one of those Weldking's. Not sure, but I think it may have been the last one Evan built. Funny that it's been sitting downstairs in my heated basement since I got it. I stare at it every time I go down there. (ha) So many other on-going projects, sometimes it feels like I'll never get to it. Oh well.
This bike has sat in my basement for over a year now, I just pulled it out and started building as a winter time project. Every time I'd walk past it sitting on the shelf, I felt bad about not finishing it. I'm hoping it will be my nicest buildup to date when it's done.