What first mod?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey, I am wondering what should i get for my first mod? I want something that i will notice a differences. I am looking to spend about 50 dollars or soo.

Rite now i have removed the Governor, Straight Pipe and i remove the top off the air filter so it an breathe better.

What should be my next engine mod i should get?

Its been beaten to death....

I keep repeating however you can clean up a little around the edges and still be safe.
Governed to less than 5000 rpm, 14cc head, header, air cleaner a little more timing tuning as require.

Thats not expensive and makes for a better running engine with a little more power and torque down low where you want it. Had you made those sort of mods first then you would likely be happy.

the aluminum flywheel is a good mod because its safer than the stock flywheel and it gives you better performance. twice as nice! :laugh:
Don't read too much into that weight thing.
Unless you added some displacement or significant power, are geared at a high ratio light weight won't help. Might even work against you and you will feel the loss of torque at lower speeds as the engine chugs along trying to build some Rpm.

After u get flywheel and rod get 265cam for 50 get rocker arms 20 and springs for bout 14 you would be able to feel a increase with this, rejet carb too

14cc heads are next to free when the 5.5 chinese generator ( Look for United power service centers they have all kinds of heads ) they are bolted to blows up.
Champion generator 6.5 heads have a stronger valve train for use with stiffer springs and higher lift.

Still need stronger internals once you start messing around but your first stop should be for compression. Just that head bring you to around 10:1 with a little light porting thet work good. This is added power and performance from low speed all the way up. It reduces the need for as much timing advance and compliments other mods.

Zero gain:
Its simply better quality parts that will not blow up in your face.

Look at it this way:
Would you cosinder driving 150 kph on 4 of those little waggon wheel spares cars come with today ( rated at what 80 kph ? ). Hell no....
And a good set of tyres with a speed rating do not make you faster, they just stay on the rim and keep you on the road black side down

Last edited:
What gains did you notice when you got the billet Flywheel and Rod?
Bighomedog - If I'm correct in reviewing your posts and inquiries, it sounds like you might be trying to keep within a budget and still put some power under your seat. Sometimes this is easy enough to do without spending lots of $$$, sometimes its not. It all boils down to how much torque/top end/whatever your looking for.

Start with an advanced timing key from NR racing....say 4 or 8 degrees. Then get yourself an air filter adapter and filter along with a bigger jet to compensate for the timing change. Don't forget to buy some 18lb springs and change them out. These are all easy mods to do. You can find the tutorials for all of them at www.affordablegokarts.com

Adapter - Box Stock 6.5hp Clone Air filter Adapter Go Kart Racing: eBay Motors (item 120590777733 end time Sep-29-10 09:47:58 PDT)
Key/Air filter/Springs can be found at NR RACING
The jet (Jet, 92 (0.92 mm, .0362") can be found here - NR RACING

You'll end up spending about $55-60 for all these parts + shipping from NR, which is usually $10 flat rate.

You don't HAVE to buy from NR, but this can at least help you familiarize yourself with the mods you might want to look at first.

Hope this helps. I push about 8-9HP with the mods I just listed on my daily driver engine.

If you're looking for more top end, sometimes its as simple as changing your gearing on front and rear sprockets. what gearing are you currently running?

Status
Not open for further replies.