What has everybody been up to?

That's awesome, what kind of lathe are you going to be getting?

It's come down to a couple different models after way too much time doing research. #1 choice now is a traditional Grizzly 0602 (10x22), #2 choice is a Precision Mathews 11x27. Really wanted a 1 inch spindle bore and something that can handle 6 inch swing over carriage so I can fabricate my own hubs. This is my first lathe so I don't want to invest too much money into it. The PM1127 a bit larger and has power crossfeed which is a nice option but about $1000 more than the 10x22. The 602 has been around a long time and what I find most home machinists using as a starter lathe with good reviews. I don't really care for a variable speed but it is also an option on this model if needed. I wish I could find a tech school that still offered manual machining around here but everything is now CNC oriented. Any recommendations?

Sounds like two good lathes. I lucked out with my schooling because this year 95% of it was manual machining, but in the coming year they are restructuring and switching to mostly CNC. I definitely see the advantage of CNC in some points but I prefer manual work.

KustomKartKid showed me some Tubelcain videos on youtube, if you haven't watched them check them out.

Hi there Ace and KK what's new in Oklahoma and Jersey?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Clayton, sounds like you guys are in the same shape as us in northern Mn. Rain, rain and more rain! We just started our first day of spraying wheat today...........about 10 days later than it should be, but the fields are just so wet. No time for minibiking around here right now, but a few parades in the next few weeks will make me take time to get them going again.

Sounds like two good lathes. I lucked out with my schooling because this year 95% of it was manual machining, but in the coming year they are restructuring and switching to mostly CNC. I definitely see the advantage of CNC in some points but I prefer manual work.

KustomKartKid showed me some Tubelcain videos on youtube, if you haven't watched them check them out.

Hi there Ace and KK what's new in Oklahoma and Jersey?

I learned to tool up a line at Seneca college when I studied mechanical engineering technology in the 80s.
Its very interesting stuff.
But be sure you can standin front of old school machines and make your own choices on the fly to fabricate custom parts.
You see its hard to hire people these days that can think on their feet several steps in advance.

This is important.
if you can plan several moves and cuts ahead on the fly you will be able to make parts and money from jobs others can not aford to do...

Hi Clayton, sounds like you guys are in the same shape as us in northern Mn. Rain, rain and more rain! We just started our first day of spraying wheat today...........about 10 days later than it should be, but the fields are just so wet. No time for minibiking around here right now, but a few parades in the next few weeks will make me take time to get them going again.

Ya the ground is so saturated, lots of guys getting stuck seeding, luckily we made it out ok, but spraying is just starting so see how that goes, it is much wetter now though. Good luck with your crops Byron, hopefully everything turns out this harvest.

I learned to tool up a line at Seneca college when I studied mechanical engineering technology in the 80s.

Its very interesting stuff.

But be sure you can standin front of old school machines and make your own choices on the fly to fabricate custom parts.

You see its hard to hire people these days that can think on their feet several steps in advance.

This is important.

if you can plan several moves and cuts ahead on the fly you will be able to make parts and money from jobs others can not aford to do...

That is very true. Since I am rather new to machining I am not always good at this, but the times I can keep thinking ahead the piece I am making is always better.

In the shop I am at we mostly do repair work, everything from parts out of plastic for a large bakery, to parts and rollers for the steel mill across the street. So there is only 1 CNC operator and he runs a large scale mill and lathe non stop. It is neat because the machine does all of it's own tool changes and has automatic bar feed on the lathe so it will feed new material into the chuck automatically. Neat stuff. I made some studs for a pulley puller when I was in school on the HAAS tool room lathe they had just using G code as I went and it was quick, 3 studs in 10 minutes. I later made similar studs manually and it took a hour. Goes to show why any production work has went that route.

A side note about the HAAS tool room lathe (I believe the model is the TL200) it can be used both as a CNC and manual lathe and will run you $19,000 new. Definitely more then I wanna spend but if a guy was to make runs of parts at home to sell it is a rather affordable option. Though they aren't near as rigid as the manual Kingston lathes I used of the same size.

Hoping to buy a house right now. The lady that owned the house we're renting died and it's getting sold. Her daughter is cool, the son is a greedy asshole. I'm ready to buy it (I have the down and financing) and bullshit has ensued. I'm pretty hahahahaing sure that I'll get it based off comps and their realtor being my property manager. The next couple of weeks are going to be interesting. If I don't buy it, we have 60 days from today to be fully out of the house.

For some reason I'm less stressed out about this endeavor where I'd spend close to half a million (welcome to the SF Bay Area) than I would be over taking on a car payment. :laugh:

Last edited:
Good luck with buying your house Strigoi. Hopefully it works out so you won't have to move. The housing market here is crazy as well, but not as expensive as what you are saying.