what is it

Gilson/ Montgomery Wards/ Allis Chalmers. Gilson was the manufacturer that built them for Montgomery Wards and Allis Chalmers

Last edited:

capguncowboy

You're going to love that bike. I picked one up last summer. At 6'5", i find it very comfy, unlike most of my other bikes. There is a really useful and informative build thread in the projects forum by unorthodoxcreat. It had loads of measurements and info. Parts are hard to find but i can help you with info if needed (and maybe some parts too)

buckeye

I'm finally gettin into mine.
It appears to be a much more solid bike than most others of simular size that I own.
Nice find.

capguncowboy

I'm finally gettin into mine.
It appears to be a much more solid bike than most others of simular size that I own.
Nice find.
A friend of mine bought a pair or complete survivors on ebay last year and had them shipped from Portland to Chicago. Turns out, they weighed about 125 lbs a piece, and they were the 4hp (HS40) version. I'd say the 5hp version i have is at least 10 lbs heavier. I guess that's a testament of the material they used and the over engineering on the frame. They're definitely made to last a long time