What is this worth?

Totally understand that it’s whatever someone is willing to pay. I’m just very naive when it comes to mini bikes I know almost nothing about them. My nephew wanted to fix it up but once I looked at replacement parts it might be cheaper for him to get a newer one and enjoy it vs restore this one. Plus I don’t think he appreciates the value of it and is rather let someone else enjoy it before it gets totally abused. Didn’t mean to offend anyone my apologies.

Totally understand that it’s whatever someone is willing to pay. I’m just very naive when it comes to mini bikes I know almost nothing about them. My nephew wanted to fix it up but once I looked at replacement parts it might be cheaper for him to get a newer one and enjoy it vs restore this one. Plus I don’t think he appreciates the value of it and is rather let someone else enjoy it before it gets totally abused. Didn’t mean to offend anyone my apologies.
No apologies necessary, it happens regularly. Rupp bikes can be expensive to restore but they are also really nice bikes.
If the bike was given to you, it might be worth to restore since you didn’t initially pay for it.
Depends on how far you want to go down the rabbit hole

I think it's awesome and these things restored are works of art. He is into dirtbikes and I know he had some new dirtbike in mind so I'm more inclined to sell it for him to help him fund his passion. In my eyes anything to keep these kids outdoors and off the video games is even better.

A lot of what a minibike is worth depends on your location. I live in an area where vintage minibikes are nearly nonexistent and nearly any Rupp would be priced high enough to buy one or two of these.
https://tboltusa.com/store/ssr-motorsports-sr125tr-pit-bike-p-8117.html
Checking the local CL every day for a couple of years, the cheapest Rupp I've seen around here was $2k and the highest one was $5.8k (NOT saying what yours may or may not be worth!). If he would rather have something else, I would suggest cleaning/polishing the Rupp, maybe get it running if it wouldn't require too much, and selling it to pay for what he really wants. Since you like the Rupp, maybe keep it for yourself and get him something he'd rather have.

For something less expensive than the pit bike linked above...
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Mega-Moto-212cc-Gas-Powered-Mini-Bike-Pro-with-Headlight/939443773

GustoGuy

Rupp's are very expensive minibikes to restore. They have lots of parts which are no longer available and parts are usually being sold on Ebay and Craigslist for a premium. Try and find a good running period correct HS40 and you could be paying $500 or more. I am doing my 1971 Rupp Roadster 2 as a resto-mod and re-powering my bike with a modern OHV engine. I will certainly entertain looking for a period correct HS40 if I can find a good running one for a decent price I may buy it. I will paint it the original color which is green metalic and use reproduction Rupp Roadster 2 stickers. A good well done resto-mod is way better than scrapping the bike or letting it rust away. Plus I am building my bike to ride rather than being a showpiece that I have on display and am afraid to ride.

^^^ if you can’t find an original Hs40, why not build an Hs50 for it?
Plenty of parts available and looks almost the same. Can also swap the shroud so it looks just like an Hs40

We are not permitted to give values here as nobody is a expert and it is based on your location. There are a bunch of those Rupps on Facebook yard sale. All around 500.00. Best way to find out what it's worth is put in on eBay and start the bidding at .99 cents.

I was a Rupp dealer in 1973-74 and what they offered in the mini bike line up was the scrambler and Roadster both nice looking bikes but most kids wanted a HONDA minicycle I sold the Rupp minicycles RTS 80 & 100 The Rupp co were big on selling parts the everyone now craves for their project.