What Rupp Did I Buy?

I bought this yesterday but can't exactly identify it. I hoping there is something I missing you experts can point out that might identify exactly what this is. It has a rear drum only for brakes. I'm not sure if the engine is original. It has a shroud on it from a Sears H35, painted silver but the block is white so I'm wondering if the block might be original but the shroud replaced at some time. The motor plate is two separate pieces, not one big plate. The paint it red but it isn't metallic so I don't think it's original. I sanded some off some places seemed to have black underneath but I never found any of the expected colors. It has not headlight. Tires are original Rupps in great shape. I was thinking maybe a '69 Digger or Sprint but the color of the frame and the chrome(somewhat painted) forks are throwing me off. It is possible someone stripped the frame down to nothing before repainting but the red paint doesn't look like anything recent.

markus

your are correct, it is a 1969 digger or sprint, I think you can narrow it down by tooth count on sprocket if it looks original, the 3.5 version woudl have been a sprint and most likely the crankshaft was 5/8 untapped on those. having that exhaust and the lower mount for a fuel tank on the engine though it may have been compltely replaced though

edit: 72t is a sprint 80t is a digger.

Last edited:
your are correct, it is a 1969 digger or sprint, I think you can narrow it down by tooth count on sprocket if it looks original, the 3.5 version woudl have been a sprint and most likely the crankshaft was 5/8 untapped on those. having that exhaust and the lower mount for a fuel tank on the engine though it may have been compltely replaced though

edit: 72t is a sprint 80t is a digger.
72t on what I'm sure is the original rear sprocket confirms it is a Sprint. After closer inspection the engine was all silver but is now mostly covered in black spray paint and oil so I'm sure it was all pulled from some Sear equipment at some point.

buckeye said:
It is a flippin beauty is what it is!!
Thank you. I was a bit embarrassed with what I paid when I won the auction but in the end I think I did ok. Except for the engine having been replaced it's pretty complete and original.

manchester1 said:
Nice score. You can usually find the original color under the motor plate or in the welds at the front neck.
Thanks. You were correct. I picked at some paint on the neck were it would have been harder to sand or media blast and found some of the correct green paint.

capguncowboy said:
I'm glad you got that. I was watching it but then forgot to bid on it. You got the rupp you wanted!
Thanks. It's not as nice as yours would have been but it's a nice straight bike. The price was decent and it was only about an hour away so I could easily pick it up.

Not quite sure what direction I'm going to go with it but it'll be a good bike to fix up when the weather gets cold. Pretty sure it's going to need more power. I got it running today with a little carb cleaning, tuning and fresh gas. It does ok on flat ground but certainly doesn't pull my 160lbs up hills like my other bikes do. I don't know how much of that is the power and how much is the clutch. All my other bikes are 5hp and torque converters. Never had a centrifugal before or a 3.5HP.

capguncowboy

Thank you. I was a bit embarrassed with what I paid when I won the auction but in the end I think I did ok. Except for the engine having been replaced it's pretty complete and original.
That bike went for A LOT less than I thought it would. The tank and frame are well worth the price you paid, and the tires and engine (even if it's not original) is a nice bonus! You did good