Whats the Best Way to clean a Old motor?

Got an IC 5up brigs....needs cleaned

Had Alky in the crank case old on top the piston so it's lubed up pretty good, An dirty as well

What's a great way to clean The block / head / internals?

I Bought an Abrasive blast gun, but havnt been able to get the gun to blast yet

any advice would be great thanks

I guess it depends where you want to go with this engine. If you're planning to rebuild anyway, spray it in some of the engine cleaning products and pressure wash. If you only want to clean the crud off and use the engine as is (hoping the inside is better than the exterior), I usually have it sitting over a drip pan and brush down with Diesel or Kerosene. Some auto parts stores have engine wash in a aerosol spray can which gets the oily grime off pretty good, but may get expensive. No real magic wand here, everyone has there own preferences.

My car mechanic uses a product called ZEP, it's at Lowes. You have to wear heavy gloves when working with it. I just use elbow grease, solvents and steel wool. Not sure I would blast it if disassembled. Machined surfaces will get tore up.

chrisr

I use Brakleen and it works good for degreasing and a wipe with lacquer thinner if painting with high temp car engine paint.