which is your favorite old school flat head

MB165

any one have a trick that works to free up a stuck check ball in a Tecumseh carb ?

If its stuck with gummy fuel a day or two soaking in carb cleaner, (and maybe a bath in boiling hot water) usually loosens them up. If its stuck because its rusted, it may never free up. Good luck

P.

I agree with all the points brought up here. I run mainly Tecumsehs because of the fit and look.The TAV's fit on them without any fab needed.But I have brought briggs back to life after years of neglect with a simple tune up/oil change. But the rear tank set up sometimes hinders my application. I love the torque and dependability of the clones also. TRK tell us more about Tec carbs on Briggs. I am willing to try anything to make a briggs better as they seem to be more readily available .:hammer:

oldfatguy

my favorite briggs carb is the old style updraft carb with the oil bath air cleaner. I have several 50 year old 3hp briggs engines and all that was ever needed to get them going again was to clean the carbs and the points. All my old tecumsehs have given me headaches trying to get the carbs to work. One thing that I found to work on a tecumseh carb is to hold the throttle wide open and close the choke and then open the choke to let it clear out and then rev it and close the choke again do this a few times an it sucks the dirt out of the small passages. I had one that wouldnt idle and this fixed it.

my favorite briggs carb is the old style updraft carb with the oil bath air cleaner. I have several 50 year old 3hp briggs engines and all that was ever needed to get them going again was to clean the carbs and the points...
I'm interested to hear peoples' methods for pulling the starter clutch and flywheel. Factory tools? Hammer & channel locks? Something in between?

oldfatguy

usually a tap with a plastic faced hammer will do it, get a screwdriver behind the flywheel and put a little tension on prying on just hold it away from the block give the end of the crank a tap with the plastic or rubber mallet. make sure to leave the nut on the end of the crank to protect the threads. On real stubborn ones I have used two wood wedges tapped in behind the flywheel and then give it a good tap on the end of the crank. The trick is to not overly stress anything so that you crack the flywheel or bend the crank. Some time all that is needed is a few taps around the edge on the flywheel. This is not a job for a metal hammer but it you don't have anything else at least use a block of wood. Spraying some WD40 on it and letting it sit over night helps too.

oldfatguy

another "trick" is to put a piece of rope into the spark plug hole to lock up the engine so that you can get the flywheel nut off with out breaking off the cooling fins. On a briggs use a hammer and a block of wood to get the starter clutch off. Just always remember the words of a wise old mechanic " Righty tighty, lefty loosie "

Mac

I'm interested to hear peoples' methods for pulling the starter clutch and flywheel. Factory tools? Hammer & channel locks? Something in between?
Factory tools I guess:

Sure makes removing the starter clutch EASY.
....and whack the flywheel with a hammer.

They sell regular tools for it but I use a pipe wrench to screw the ratchet off.. Ya gotta take the screen off but remember to put the screws back in so the face doesn't fall off... Usually you can just wedge the flywheel on the heavy duty iron cooling fin to hold it still... Then a gentle whack with a dead blow hammer works for popping the flywheel loose but they also sell a cup that fits the crank shaft and acts as a dead blow device you can whack with a hammer to not damage the crank...

i should get me some of those special tools :) i use a hammer to get the starter clutch off and a hammer to get the flywheel off :shrug: :laugh: i wish i could use a hammer to get the pulsajet carbs off lol that underside bolt is always a struggle. My favorite engine is the updraft briggs engines too :thumbsup:

i should get me some of those special tools :) i use a hammer to get the starter clutch off and a hammer to get the flywheel off :shrug: :laugh: i wish i could use a hammer to get the pulsajet carbs off lol that underside bolt is always a struggle. My favorite engine is the updraft briggs engines too :thumbsup:
:hammer:s work GREAT on pulse jet carbs.. :lol: the best way to get those bolts is #1 take the shroud off so you can even SEE the bottom bolt.... But ALSO a flat head screw driver, stuck in from the side, works as a great wrench.. :thumbsup: IF it has the original bolts still.. The smaller fillips head/hex head style screws or Torxe Bit/ Hex Head screws work good putting them back on...