Which Montgomery Ward is this?

New here. I love forums. Picked this up for $225 from a guy that has been looking for me fa a while. Something for the grandkids. My mom actually owned a Montgomery Ward store back in the day so this one will most likely get restored and road for many years to come.

Can someone tell me about it?

So it looks like Outlaw Ace has the best answer. Some more info is a number I got off the engine, HS5-67016C SER 7124B. I am having trouble with the governor so I will head over to the engine section to get this set up right.

markus

New here. I love forums. Picked this up for $225 from a guy that has been looking for me fa a while. Something for the grandkids. My mom actually owned a Montgomery Ward store back in the day so this one will most likely get restored and road for many years to come.

Can someone tell me about it?

is there still a vin/id tag on the headtube? it looks original right down to the seat. It might not have an actual name, more of a number designation.

the motor is a 1977 which sounds about right. Maybe look for a spring/summer catalog from around that time.

delray

just like the guys are saying. late 70's Montgomery Ward bike made by Arco. i don't know the model of the,but it would be above this model.
this one too is a Montgomery Ward/arco with a 5hp motor. i think all them made in that style frame came with 5hp motors? everyone i have seen posted here had 5hp's :shrug:
seat on this is not correct. from a different bike.

correct style motor and most of them that i have seen come with this style tail pipe.

id tag

nice find...:thumbsup:Rusty Bumper
try to keep it original. first blue bike with spoke wheels i have ever seen posted here. in a Montgomery wards model.....:scooter:

I didn't see any picture proof.
I think we jump the gun sometimes,
and give best answer way too soon.
Maybe Mac. I couldn't find any Wards ads that showed this bike. But there are a few photos around of both the Bushwacker and the Wards version and they look identical to me. In addition to the photos in this thread:

Bushwacker: Australian Vintage Mini - Bikes ...... page 2 the index...................

Wards: (second photo) Random Parts For Sale. @ ElbowsUp.com

Is proof-positive via magazine ad or brochure the only way in which models are determined here? At some point I would think deductive logic has to play a hand, no?

I didn't see any picture proof.
I think we jump the gun sometimes,
and give best answer way too soon.

After reading the sticky on the "What Is It" rules and I can't see where picture proof is required , I can see where pictures might be helpful but not required for a Best Answer :thumbsup:

just like the guys are saying. late 70's Montgomery Ward bike made by Arco. i don't know the model of the,but it would be above this model.
this one too is a Montgomery Ward/arco with a 5hp motor. i think all them made in that style frame came with 5hp motors? everyone i have seen posted here had 5hp's :shrug:
seat on this is not correct. from a different bike.

correct style motor and most of them that i have seen come with this style tail pipe.

id tag

nice find...:thumbsup:Rusty Bumper
try to keep it original. first blue bike with spoke wheels i have ever seen posted here. in a Montgomery wards model.....:scooter:
The lighted coil with headlight model was an Arco Buccaneer, the one without was a Bushwhacker. Still I have found no literature on the Wards model so a name eludes me still. I had a white spoke wheel Arco that actually said Bushwhacker it on the tank and fork plate, also had an orange one with steel wheels so I think maybe the wheels changed one year. I want the best answer to be the right one, mine or not. I have always seen this section as a learning place rather than a competition, I have gotten a bunch of IDs between my two lives here but a full dozen maybe more were not IMO the best answer. Someone has a Wards brochure squirreled out somewhere I bet.:thumbsup:

delray

i have one more picture of my friends wards/arco bike with the factory 5hp motor and tail pipe on it......:thumbsup: check out the factory kick stand:rolleyes:

randy had a real nice complete original bike,but i can't find any pictures of it. must of deleted them.....:shrug:

I will look for a frame tag when i am done camping at Goosberry Falls State Park (MN) on Thursday and let you know what i find.

Sent from my SCH-S720C using Tapatalk 2

There is no evidence of an ID tag, only a little weld splatter. As with the other pics in this post, there is no headlight bracket. When I look at the kick stand, I see only one tab for mounting one.
On a side note, I am looking for a link to calibrate the governor arm.

Last edited:
So it looks like Outlaw Ace has the best answer. Some more info is a number I got off the engine, HS5-67016C SER 7124B. I am having trouble with the governor so I will head over to the engine section to get this set up right.
I made a mistake in the ID number it should be HS50-67016C SER 7124B.
Here are some close ups of the engine...

If you look there is a thread in the engine section on it that covers Tecumseh governor hook up and it covers spring placement and everything you should need to know.:thumbsup: