Which Montgomery Ward is this?

I have that EXACT mini bike! I bought it from Montgomery Ward, brand new, in 1978. I wish it were as clean as yours! It had the kick stand on the left side, where yours is, but it was just a blue post with a small plastic tip and it was "pinched" at the top where it went into the bracket that holds it to the frame. A small spring helped keep the kickstand up, when riding.

I think it was in the 1977 Wards catalog because I tore out the page and put it on the wall to inspire me to work and save up for it. I had to work ($2/hour at the time) for 9 months to save up 1/2 and my Dad sprung for the other 1/2.

The original engine was a 5HP Tecumseh. The engine model was HS50-670 16C SER 7255-B. I still have the engine, but I put a new engine on it because it was cheaper than fixing the old one, and more powerful.

My frame broke, twice, and was welded back together, and one of the welds damaged the little label plate, where the forks meet the frame, with the details of the bike, but I can still see it is model #57507.

You're lucky you saw this before I did! I have no idea how I would have transported it clear to Oregon. I probably would have just rode it home on back roads.

Enjoy the bike!

Incidentally, my twin daughters are now the same age I was, when I bought it. They love it, too!

1977 Montgomery Ward 5hp Mini Bike Model 57507
So, I have been searching for a Wards catalog ever since I got the bike in September. Thrift stores, Craigslist, eBay, and finally an online search said I could find the 5hp minibike on page 641 of the Spring/Summer Montgomery Ward catalog. This find then brought me to a catalog search result at a library, Central Library/State Library Center located at 400 Cathedral Street in Baltimore.
I looked into the library website and found they have many old sales catalogs like Sears, JC Penny's as well as Montgomery Ward. According to their archives the catalog I was looking for was in box # 27. So, I wrote to them asking for the color copy of the page with my mini bike on it, page #641 or there abouts.
A couple of days later I received a response, complete with a copy of page 641. Not only was my 1977 5hp mini bike, "more like a mini motorcycle" as the description read, but there is a 4hp and a 3 1/2hp as well, along with go-carts.
Now I would like to submit this page to the appropriate person so it can be help to others. I think I need to upload it to the brochure/sales literature but I'm not sure how to get a PDF file to this section. Brochures / Sales Literature - Old Mini Bikes Photo Gallery
I found my mini bike was model 57507 just like the above poster, tandrb, mentioned. I chose him as best answer. Maybe because of the model listed. Like it has been said before, this may be more of a learning experience than a challenge. From the PDF I found the 4hp model is 57506 and the 3 1/2hp is model 57505.
After I get the PDF posted in the photo section, I'll put a link to it here.

I have that EXACT mini bike! I bought it from Montgomery Ward, brand new, in 1978. I wish it were as clean as yours! It had the kick stand on the left side, where yours is, but it was just a blue post with a small plastic tip and it was "pinched" at the top where it went into the bracket that holds it to the frame. A small spring helped keep the kickstand up, when riding.

I think it was in the 1977 Wards catalog because I tore out the page and put it on the wall to inspire me to work and save up for it. I had to work ($2/hour at the time) for 9 months to save up 1/2 and my Dad sprung for the other 1/2.

The original engine was a 5HP Tecumseh. The engine model was HS50-670 16C SER 7255-B. I still have the engine, but I put a new engine on it because it was cheaper than fixing the old one, and more powerful.

My frame broke, twice, and was welded back together, and one of the welds damaged the little label plate, where the forks meet the frame, with the details of the bike, but I can still see it is model #57507.

You're lucky you saw this before I did! I have no idea how I would have transported it clear to Oregon. I probably would have just rode it home on back roads.

Enjoy the bike!

Incidentally, my twin daughters are now the same age I was, when I bought it. They love it, too!
A Wards catalog # does not denote the make or model, it's still an Arco Buccaneer built by the Alexander Reynolds company.

delray

wow.......top of the line back in the day........:thumbsup: $289
i wish i could buy couple 5hp's for $119 and some kick starters for $26.99....:doah:

You are probably right Outlaw Ace. You know these bkes well. Thank you.
Here is the link to the catalog page. It is a PDF file so if you get there thru the photo page you will need to click on the thumb nail. This link should take you directly to the PDF. http://www.oldminibikes.com/forum/photopost/data/1159/Wards_Mini-bike.pdf
Rusty Bumper, thanks so much for posting the magazine ad. I just picked up a Wards Mini like yours and just became a new member here on the forum and was asking the same questions. This thread is a big help. Here are the pics of mine including the VIN tag.

Rusty Bumper, thanks so much for posting the magazine ad. I just picked up a Wards Mini like yours and just became a new member here on the forum and was asking the same questions. This thread is a big help. Here are the pics of mine including the VIN tag.
WOW, nice find!!:thumbsup:

Glad yours has a VIN tag, mine is missing. I am looking for ways to replicate the Montgomery Ward sticker. I have searched the world wine web and asked my mom if she hade any left. No luck so far.:no:
Rusty

The Arco version was called a Bushwhacker, the frames usually break on the right side behind the engine plate. An engineering flaw I guess but I've never seen a clapped out one without a crack. I've seen nicer ones that have yet to crack but I'd make sure I did not ride it given I weigh #225.