White Smoke? HELP!!!

DMR

whenever i rev up my Briggs Raptor III, it makes white smoke, not alot, but it is noticable. Should I be worried? I think it might be because i have not rebuilt my engine in 3 years:doah:, but in those three years, i have only been running it for about 3 months before, and 2 months after the three years.

What should i do?

DMR

i know that white smoke usually means burning oil, but i dont know if briggs raptors naturally make white smoke.
i think it might be my head gasket.

Most likely it's a problem concerning the piston rings.
It could also be caused by a worn intake valve guide.
There could be oil in the gas tank or in the gasoline.
I have heard of guys that mistaked the 2 cycle gas for 4 cycle engines.

Most likely it's a problem concerning the piston rings.
It could also be caused by a worn intake valve guide.
There could be oil in the gas tank or in the gasoline.
I have heard of guys that mistaked the 2 cycle gas for 4 cycle engines.
You should freshen it up! If you had mistakenly put your weedeater gas in it it would smoke steadily. There could be an underlying issue that could render the thing useless, if it grenades you are left with nothing! I have been there with my car engines, thinking it was simply rings or valveguides only to have the thing get progressively worse! Then tearing them down to find a cylinder grooved or a block, head or both firecut and not rebuildable! Better to be safe and save your engine. Raptors are high rent, but you know this already! Good luck!

Oldsalt

It the engine smokes when you rev it up and then close the throttle there is most probably no problem in my opinion. Snapping the throttle closed of course causes the piston to be sucking against a closed carb. The vacuum is very high. So it is common and accepted to have some smoke at that time due to the extreme vacuum pulling excess oil past the rings. Remember, the oil ring is under it's highest load at high RPMs so it doesn't take much to get a little oil by it when you add the high "negative"pressure. Don't touch that motor unless there is a lot of smoke at constant throttle.