Who invented the minibike?

Whoa! I thought TT did!! And that's why he's in a death lock with Minibike Paul for the rights over in off topic. I even got a high concept movie treatment/screenplay in the works inspired by this explosive material. I'm right at the part, the climactic fight scene :gun_bandana::2guns:in a garage overflowing with old Tecumsehs (maybe we could shoot it at Johnny Tillotson's) where one has the other in a compromising position over a mini chopper seat (still working out who's on top) when suddenly one of them........Out of closet

Working title: "Brokeback Minibike"

Last edited:
:thumbsup: That's a Welbike which started production in 1942. It's generally considered a scooter. Name was changed to Corgi, and they are credited for starting the scooter craze in the UK. Cushman was earlier as they started two wheels in 1936. Also considered a scooter.

In the NE US, there is, or was, a restored Corgi for sale for around 4K. (The Welbike became a Corgi in 1948)

Good stuff, but that is a "Cycle" Andy. Not unlike the Paratrooper, or British "Corgi" bikes of the early 40's. There are plenty of examples of "smaller than a full sized motorcycle" bikes out there, and the discussion always needs to start with "what is a mini bike?" being answered first.

In some of the articles above are statements that say (paraphrase here) "that attempts at installing small engines on small bicycle frames have been occurring across the nation's farms, the first mini bike produced was....." and so on. So mini bike definition, and then production numbers seem to drive the conversation.

The Mighty Atom is a cool looking machine. First I've seen of it. Thanks for posting it up.

I know it's not technically a mini bike but it was made in the spirit of the machines we know and love just many years ahead of it's time. Had to share having just seen it on a facebook group, someone put a lot of time and engineering into the little bike.
Good stuff, but that is a "Cycle" Andy. Not unlike the Paratrooper, or British "Corgi" bikes of the early 40's. There are plenty of examples of "smaller than a full sized motorcycle" bikes out there, and the discussion always needs to start with "what is a mini bike?" being answered first.

In some of the articles above are statements that say (paraphrase here) "that attempts at installing small engines on small bicycle frames have been occurring across the nation's farms, the first mini bike produced was....." and so on. So mini bike definition, and then production numbers seem to drive the conversation.

The Mighty Atom is a cool looking machine. First I've seen of it. Thanks for posting it up.

As Dave said not a mini bike but it is a mini motorcycle and yes those valves are like music, I'd love to hear it run and take it for a spin. A good buddy of mine is a hit and miss engine enthusiast and I love to hear those things running. He has a sweet 2 stroke maytag looks like new runs like new and has countless others of varying sizes. The old stuff is great for sure.
That's a beauty..:smile: I'd love to see and hear it run w those exposed mechanicals moving..

kayde

Now i wanna put a fork into some pancakes and bacon.

I always thought mini bikes were invented by those weird old guys in parades that wear the funny hats.:rolleyes:

And their reasoning was because they felt bad for them and wanted all the little people to be able to ride their own motorcycle....SHRUG!:cool: