Why did mini bikes die?

nightgrider

When I was a kid (in the mid to late 90s) I used to watch reruns of Perry Mason with my Dad. I just assumed it was a new show back then, I didn't know any better. Enjoyed watching the show with my Dad.

pomfish

You are showing a bad example, also. You purposely built a monster that would NEVER have been offered for retail sale, even during the "Muscle Car" era. It is my thought that people building things like you have, using parts and tricks developed for gokart racing, that led to the demise of production mini bikes.
You sir, have not met the Engray/Maico Spitfire.
These things were so dangerous that they were pulled from the market after numerous accidents.
Very rare very desirable, true widowmaker :)
Read em' and weep.

here;
https://www.oldminibikes.com/forum/...za-1510mx-finished.146457/page-2#post-1139238

and here;
https://www.oldminibikes.com/forum/...inibike-cycle.172863/#lg=post-1265515&slide=0

GustoGuy

You are showing a bad example, also. You purposely built a monster that would NEVER have been offered for retail sale, even during the "Muscle Car" era. It is my thought that people building things like you have, using parts and tricks developed for gokart racing, that led to the demise of production mini bikes.
Its been upgraded with full hydraulic rear shocks and Suzuki K10 Motorcycle fork. True. I doubt that a manufacturer will put a built 212cc Honda clone with 20 series TAV. Most manufacturers tend to be risk adverse and build minibikes that are relatively tame. Honda got sued back in the 80's when the sold thousands of balloon tire 3 wheelers. They were probably even more dangerous to ride than my Resto-mod Rupp. I am going to re-gear it with a 12 tooth jackshaft sprocket since with the 11 tooth jackshaft sprocket it hits pretty hard off the bottom. A skilled rider can handle it but a child or novice could find themselves in trouble. I used to ride a 1993 Honda CR 250 so I know how to handle a bike. My wife's nephew said he owned Yamaha 125cc dirt bike so I thought he could handle the bike. I warned him to take off easy and not to gun it because it has enough power to wheelie up. Evidently he didn't listen. It is not a difficult bike to ride but if you get on it and don't respect it and crack the throttle wide open you could get thrown. Imagine fanning the clutch while gunning the throttle wide open on the CR 250 would do exactly the same thing wheelie over. Heck even novice motorcycle riders can find themselves in trouble when they start riding again.

Yeah, once mini trails showed up, no one wanted lawn mower engine mini bikes anymore. My first jap bike was a Gemini 80. But it was a real POS
I had a 50 then an 80 SST. I loved them. After riding a doodle-bug style bike it was a dream. I was faster than a Honda. I am rebiuilding 2 50s and will rebuild 2 80s.

MJL

I grew up in the 80’s in a blue collar neighborhood. No one had a minibike or go kart. We all dreamed of one and the closest we ever got was a blown YZ 80 that we pushed up a hill and coasted back down on. Northern Tool sold go karts and we‘d go drool over them. They were incredibly expensive. I think a very basic 3hp yard cart was nearly $500. Just a 5hp Tecumseh was $300, if I recall correctly. There was no craigslist to find used rides. No snowblowers in our area, and I only knew of one neighbor with a tiller, and no one with a welder, so it wasn’t like there was even the opportunity to cobble something together. When I was in high school, my uncle and I built a kart. I rode around the neighborhood for a few days before someone called the cops and ended the fun.

The Lil Indian in the ad below would work out to nearly $1075 in today’s dollars. No way my folks were going to spend a grand (in today’s dollars) on me for Christmas. $99 Predators and $600-700 Colemans are phenomenally cheap for what they are.

IMG_0771.jpeg

I’ve been wondering, if one had the equipment to fabricate the frame and front forks. What would be the cost of materials to build adult mini bike like the Super Bronc. Any one dare to venture a guess

Girls, motorcycles/cars, babies, beer,….dragons live forever but not so little boys….
See, that right there! ^^^ We grew out of them into bikes with suspension, and gearboxes that had enough power and plush to take the girl next door for a ride without her crying about the rough trail to the river..... :D

If I ride a minibike these days, it's got to have big ass balloon tires with low pressure, or shocks and forks, or both. Rigid? Heck nah, only at the track or truck meets that allow them.
As far as younguns riding minis, Chy Knee has that covered, can't compete with the cost of them. Sadly. Your business in the US would be taxed and regulated to death, by the Chy Knee owned gumment we live in now.

I have thought about selling frames and forks as Christmas yard ornaments.
What kind of regulations do you think I would have to fight with?
Maybe even put an LED headlight and tail light on them.

That would depend on the the output of each individual light bulb and how much radiation they produce..... you know those HOA are rough to deal with too.

OK, so we sell them with little mirrors behind the lenses, and call them "Solar Lights"
The purchaser could add real bulbs if they want to add tires and void the warranty.
Yard ornaments were sold without tires. Converting this product into any form of conveyance will permanently void warranty.

OK, so we sell them with little mirrors behind the lenses, and call them "Solar Lights"
The purchaser could add real bulbs if they want to add tires and void the warranty.
Yard ornaments were sold without tires. Converting this product into any form of conveyance will permanently void warranty.
Will you sell me a set of wheels and tires for my Cat? :p

Thepaetsguy

you know those HOA are rough to deal with too.
people in hoa areas joke about bolting a mailbox to anything they wanna keep. Like the project car bolt a mailbox to it with a certified letter in it to yourself with no stamp so it’s never mailed. if they touch your yard art they messed with your mailbox and it‘s supposedly a federal crime

I don’t understand the regulation issue? Maybe small town life has me naive…