Why Does My Streaker Bog Out At Max Speed

Guys Im wondering why my streaker seems to bog out/pop when I approach full speed. I can tell Im not getting max power. Im thinking maybe my carb needs adjusting or even rebuilding. I do not know what work if any has been done by the previous owner. :no:

The carb must need to be adjusted. Sometimes, when there is a loud popping, too much gas is getting caught in the muffler, then lighting and making the popping sound. Maybe not though if it is only when you start to approach full speed. :shrug:

nope its not the gov....but Im gonna tinker with the carb adjustments today if I get time. Just been selling too much cable to mess with it:bowdown:

Bruceo

Running out of fuel/lean? what does the plug look like? make a pass and shut it off before it idles.pull the plug.should be brownish/tan.if its sooty black its rich.if its white.its lean.

jrzmac

Basically this is what you have to do. It's not that hard if you've never done it before, but it does take a little time and patience.

first thing you need to do is get a milk crate or something to lift the bike up on. then start it up and run it for a minute or two. it's a little easier if you have another pair of hands to help with the throttle but if not, you can give it gas from the throttle plate on the carb with your left hand and adjust the needles with your right. once it's warm, start with the high speed needle. give it full throttle and turn the bottom screw in finder tight, until it starts to sputter and die out, then back it out again a few turns until it sputters again. do this back and forth a few times to find the "sweet" spot. you'll know when you find it. then while running at idle, turn the side needle(low) in finger tight until it starts to die out, then back it out again like before, until it dies out again then back in again until it runs smooth. you do the low speed one without the throttle! then when it's running the way you want it, take it for a ride because you may have to do a littlew more adjusting when you put load on it! after a few times doing this, it becomes second nature to you!!! good luck and let us know how you make out or if you need anymore help!

adjusted the carb and seems to be running great. Im gonna still rebuild the carb when I get back from Modesto. But for now all is well. Thanks a lot and a big ty to the guy that posted the pics with words to match. That should be a sticky for sure

jrzmac

adjusted the carb and seems to be running great. Im gonna still rebuild the carb when I get back from Modesto. But for now all is well. Thanks a lot and a big ty to the guy that posted the pics with words to match. That should be a sticky for sure
glad to see you got it running!