Why Extend Carburetor?

Well kinda sorta beat it. Never hit butterfly or slide location in the intake tract relative to the intake valve. Most of the NHRA guys prefer the butterfly closer to the intake valve ala injected fuel engines.

Along with the butterfly location in the intake comes the location of the verturi. i.e. mount the carb closer to the head and put a velocity stack on the front side of the carb (butterfly and venturi closer to intake valve), or put a long runner between carb and head (butterfly and venturi farther from intake valve).

Which is best and why? Is one better than the other? The answer would have to be based upon characteristics and application would be my thought.

Really the discussion is a bit more than just a long intake runner between the head and the carburetor. The question posed by the OP didn't include this aspect and nobody touched upon it. (no criticism here)

EDIT: 65ShelbyClone did make mention of it.

Last edited:

65ShelbyClone

I mentioned those things here:

Longer intakes also have more volume that reduces pressure signal on the carb. Port fuel injection puts fuel right on the intake valve and unless it's sequentially injected, the fuel just sits there until the valve opens.

If anything, it would probably be more ideal to leave the carb close to the head and put a velocity stack(of appropriate resonant length for the engine rpm) on the inlet.

^ Well yes, you touched on it for sure. That aspect didn't get explored much beyond that. And that's ok. But, to whet my whistle that would be an area I would find of interest.

Just a thought some one Should start a new thread with the pros and cons of diferent intakes and maybe the rest of us will be good and not derail it LOL .
[we may learn something as well]
Rob.

Just a thought some one Should start a new thread with the pros and cons of diferent intakes and maybe the rest of us will be good and not derail it LOL .
[we may learn something as well]
Rob.
No Rob I am afraid not....
There will be no new thread and even if there was we would not be able to impart and significant or useful information on the subject as related to minibikes.

Short is better If you feel you must tinker get a velocity stack.

Would you like to learn about Coleman stoves now?

I'm not too interested in Coleman stoves, but it's cool with me if it gets discussed in the thread. :wink:

Am interested in Bench Grinders though. :thumbsup: