Will Copyright Law Stop You From Working On Your Car In The Near Future?

Yeah they're serious about the dmca. Its a far reaching bs law they concocted to prosecute napster users. Then they went after movie downloading. Then satellite tv pirates. If this becomes the next target I'll pull my oem ecu and install an aftermarket unit.

Do you really want George Jetson working on his saucer?!

But seriously, they seem to be focused on all the systems controlled by the ECU, including the brakes.
I do not want to be on the road with a car some computer hacker altered the ECU on if the safety systems could be compromised.

I don't want a car that drives for me either.
I agree 100% it's like full modulating gas furnaces that compensate for dirty filter to maintain the proper temp across he heat exchanger and to adjust for lousy duct work design. The new cars allow stupid driver to not pay attention to their driving by controlling the brakes and issue warning sounds if your drifting out of your lane. So a driver that is a bit high or sleepy can make it home so that the payments continue. The new cars with all the savy tech should be able to tell you what has caused your check engine light to go off and give you fuel MPG . I don't have to worry I can't afford any vehicles today.
Steve

bikebudy

Banned - Must pay $500
Do you really want George Jetson working on his saucer?!

But seriously, they seem to be focused on all the systems controlled by the ECU, including the brakes.
I do not want to be on the road with a car some computer hacker altered the ECU on if the safety systems could be compromised.
Very True.

I think they want to Stop people from putting in Up-Grade chip's, that create more HP and Bypass speed governors.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqe6S6m73Zw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zurrQiETDHA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3jstaBeXgAs

Last edited:
It doesn't matter since I won't buy a new car or truck. Even if I could afford it, I don't want it driving for me.

I have what I need, the vehicles I have do have computers, but rudimentary compared to nowadays. 97 and 2000.

I need to get my 56 Willy's done.

I am with you, Steve.

Last edited:
As interesting as the discussion should be to some of us, to say that manufacturers consider their ECU programs "proprietary" is ludicrous.

If the "black box' is designed to compensate for various conditions, how can this self-regulating system be proprietary? It's still 1's and 0's, and oh by the way, what does Bosch have to say about their O2 signals getting pirated? The list of stolen signals could go on for ever.

And what about OBD-1 and 2? That program belongs to "We the People" since it is our government who mandated it.

No, the real discussion is somewhat different and has engine shut down technology mandated in all vehicles, with Law Enforcement being the only entity with access to it. Or the technology that automatically limits your top speed to XXX MPH on certain sections of highway, or a myriad other ways to control your vehicle remotely.

It's easy enough to get us gearheads to stop messing with it. Just look at California for inspiration. With it's SMOG inspections, don't even think about touching your vehicle. Or Reno, or Phoenix, and the list goes on. We're already half way there.