worst craigslist barter

So I go out to barter my doodle bug frame seat and wheels for a 6.5hp motor for my Baja mini bike, I just bartered for but it had a seized engine. So the kid didn't know anything about the motor and it was raining so we did it quick and then when I got home I took off the gas tank and saw this

I'm no mechanic but it looks like someone cut off the throttle. Is there a point to doing that? Is this motor just good for repacement parts now?

They removed the full governor assembly. :doah:.
You now have 3 options....
1) Use the motor and buy a billet rod and flywheel for saftey.
2) Post a wanted add for all the parts needed to re-install it from someone who removed it and installed billet parts.
3) Use it for parts
Just live and learn from this..

Last edited:
Also there's a new sealant or something around the engine I assume someones been in there if that's where I would put the parts mentioned.

I Havnt tried to put gas and oil in it to see if it'll.fire because I didn't see anywhere.to attach my throttle cable to

well it looks like ya may have gotten screwed on it . hope ya didnt give to much on it . what i would do is take it down all the way to bare block and look it over to see just whats been done in there and see if its runable or just pretty scrap .
it may be ok inside and just need some cleaning up or it could be a bubba job and ......

KB2ROCKET

You can still use the engine without a govenor im not saying its perfectly safe no motor really is.... judt dont rev the crap out of it I cant remember ever having a kart or mini that used a govenor

As others have said you can't go wrong with a predator.
Now to make the best of a bad barter , you have the oportunity to start a performance build from the ground up.
There seems to be performance parts coming up for sale quite often in the classifieds at reasonable prices , you can go as mild or wild as you need
Good luck :thumbsup:

Dude, that is one rough looking mill. Sometimes you just have to take a whoopin' and go on. There may be salvageable parts but it looks to be at the end of it's service life.:no:

TomH

That is what I would do. put some fresh gas and oil in it and see what you got. Screw the throttle hookup for now. Just clamp it down and you can hand choke it and throttle it. If she is knocking or sounding funny, I would save my money and get a new one. Unless you have a really good buddy that owns a machine shop. Having been around the block a few times, a block with the governor removed, and some goof playing dumb is not a good combination. Another shady deal is the "I am selling this for a friend and I don't know anything about it". I will never buy an engine of any kind unless I can hear it run or it is being sold for scrap prices if it doesn't. I already did that once when I was a kid with an Austin Healey.:crying:

Last edited:
I would pull the side cover first thing! It may allready have a billet rod, cam etc?? I just fixed a two seater yard kart for me and the kids. I fixed a Predator, milled the head, decked the block, (of course no governor) cl-1 cam (I think or bsp-1) and it runs great. I still have the stock rod and flywheel, just dont turn it over 5500rpm.

Okay so I took the motor apart after I put gas and oil in. I'm getting a spark but it wont start. Here's some pics of all the insides maybe someone can tell me if any of this stuff is the Bullitt parts

Thanks for any help I'm still very new to these

i'm with most , i don't know how many worn B & S motors i have laying around but rather than spend $$ and time working on them i just drive over to HF and for $99. i get 7 hp of new life. yeah there is nothing like a cool Tecumseh or B&S but i can buy 3 or 4 predators for the same cost - i call them my throw away motors but haven't tore one up yet to throw away..:deal:

Ya that's what im probably gonna do but people were talking about the buillit rod and stuff and I was.just wondering if any parts are reusable wheb I get my new motor

That enginey somoen that knew has been tinkered with and not by someone that knew what they were doing.

Notice the Champion rocker arms....
An attempt to imrpove the valve train.
I would bet you find a lash cap under the intake rocker but a stocck intake vlave retainer causing that look.