You have to read and watch this!!!

From watching this video, you can see why the U-2 is considered the most difficult plane in the world to fly. Each pilot has a co-pilot, who chases the plane on the runway in a sports car. Most of the cars are either Pontiac GTO's or Chevrolet Camaros - the Air Force buys American. The chase cars talk the pilot down as he lands on bicycle-style landing gear. In that spacesuit, the pilot in the plane simply cannot get a good view of the runway.

Upon takeoff, the wings on this plane, which extend 103 feet from tip to tip, literally flap. To stabilize the wings on the runway, two pogo sticks on wheels prop up the ends of the wings. As the plane flies away, the pogo sticks drop off. The plane climbs at an amazing rate of nearly 10,000 feet a minute. Within about four minutes, I was at 40,000 feet, higher than any commercial airplane. We kept going up to 13 miles above Earth's surface. You get an incredible sensation up there. As you look out the windows, it feels like you're floating, it feels like you're not moving, but you're actually going 500 mph. The U-2 was built to go higher than any other aircraft. In fact today, more than 50 years since it went into production, the U-2 flies higher than any aircraft in the world with the exception of the space shuttle. It is flying more missions and longer missions than ever before - nearly 70 missions a month over Iraq and Afghanistan, an operational tempo that is unequaled in history. The pilots fly for 11 hours at a time, sometimes more than 11 hours up there alone. By flying so high, the U-2 has the capability of doing reconnaissance over a country without actually violating its airspace. It can look off to the side, peering 300 miles or more inside a country without actually flying over it. It can "see" in the dark and through clouds. It can also "hear," intercepting conversations 14 miles below. The U-2, an incredible piece of history and also a current piece of high technology, is at the center of the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan. Enjoy the ride! Lockheed U-2 Take A Ride in a Spy Plane, Click the link below. Go to the lower right corner of the screen and click the icon immediately to the right of the volume control to bring up the full screen.

Take a ride in a U-2! Out of this world, almost.
Breathtaking spy plane footage. [VIDEO]

Last edited:

Neck

Growing up is optional
That's the dude from Top Gear, When I saw him in his helmet I was thinking to myself, that's a pretty old pilot! I love to take a ride like that!

When I was on the USS Kitty Hawk CVA 63 in March 1964 we were in San Diego and when I returned to the ship all the outside doors were closed and they had the red night light on in the hanger deck.
And there guarded by our on board Marine detachment was a U-2 spy plane. We pulled out to sea and there was big doings on the flight deck. I being in the boiler room did not get to see the launch but they didn't use the steam catapult to launch that plane and the huge wing span off that deck. The pilot did return and kind of floated down onto the flight deck.
The officers all had a big lunch and meetings and they had the U-2 take off again and the pilot said he had enough of the bird farm and went back to North Island
Steve:scooter:

Thats impressive but that record was beaten by a MIG 25M officialy in 1977 at 123,523 feet. Durring the six day war Soviet Mig 25Ms would regualrly fly spy mission over the area. Like the SR71 they flew high enough and fast enough to avoid missles and interceptors. Isreale had F4s that could see them but they would just climb or excellerate away...

Now the SR71 might fly higher I would suspect that but I don't know where you would look something like that up.

Modified Mig 25Ms were deployed where ever US spy planes were getting too close as an eefective way to discourage them. Not sure about missles but the 37 mm cannon was reliable at those speeds. No proof of interceptions but its sugested these modified Migs could sprint and chase down an SR71. But the mig was a sprinter and the black bird a long distance runner so I doubt there was ever a real chance of getting an alert, scramble and being in the right place at the right time for an intercept.

Turns out of you have 10,000 to burn and go to Russia you can geta ride in Mig 31 Foxhound. Very simmilar performance to the Foxbat but its a two seat low level interceptor rather than the high flyer.

More Trivia:
The Foxhbat was designed to intercept US super sonic bombers like the B1, XB70 and the B58. The foxfire radar was the most powerful phased aray radar of its day ( all tube as well ) and the plane was all made of forged and wedled stainless steel to keep costs down....