z50 engine running rough

Original owners of the bike. Was riding it around about 2 years ago and it was running smootly in 3rd gear and then the bike just started breaking up. So far, I cleaned the carb twice, Cleaned the fuel filter, Fresh fuel, checked ignition points (which are a only year old), New Spark Plug, Checked spark (seems strong), new fuel hose and checked timing. It seems like it idles ok but once u give it gas it breaks up and sputters and occasionally backfires through the carb. Any clue to what it is? Id love to get it going again! Thanks

Neck

Growing up is optional
Sounds like there might be water in the gas. leave the gas on and open the bowl drain, but let it drain into cup or something, so you can see whats draining out. Water will be very visible under the gasoline, at the bottom of the cup.

Definitely going to do all thats stated above. Thanks alot for the replies! I made this just for visual. Here is a link to a video of how it runs. Its idling when I start the video and then I go to full throttle and back to idle at the end. 1970 z50 rough - YouTube

george3

Check the gap on the rockers..
I agree, get that simple job out of the way. Even if that isnt the prob it will run alot stronger. Get a flash light and inspect the inside of the tank. Take the shut off valve off the tank and clean it real good make yout flow is good. there is a screen up in there pull it out and clean it. easy out gets them out usually with no damage. I just done one. I think you have crap in your tank. If all above is ok. your float level is correct? your float needle is shutting off the fuel before its fludding out the carb? no leaks on the over flow hose? Usually the float need prob. will make it load up at idle after a few minutes it will just flood out and stall. Thats a good list to start with, lol

Very sound advice from all the above posters. I have quite a few of these bikes...and my personal feeling is that your issue is likely to be fuel-related.

Did you use Berryman's Chem-Dip ? Smells awful...works well....but is very thick...and if not "blown out" of carb passageways it can cause issues until it's flushed out. Doubt that the velocity of movement through the very tiny passageways on this carb is enough to do the trick (if this is your issue) without using compressed air.

After taking the carb out of the dip, rinse it thoroughly with fresh water....and then use the skinniest adaptor you have for your blow gun.....and really blow things out & dry with compressed air before reassembly.

This issue can be quite frustrating. I have literally had to clean these little carbs 3 or 4 times to get them clean....despite the fact that I could have sworn that the first cleaning should have done it !

Valves should be set at .002 " for both intake and exhaust.

I have factory manuals on pdf. Please PM me if you need assistance.

Resto

I pulled the carb again and did a VERY thorough cleaning of it. Then I adjusted the valve clearance. No change in how it runs. I might be looking in the wrong direction but could the coil be erratic? Is there anyway to test it? Thanks for all the help! Sites great!

Neck

Growing up is optional
Ok, it's been a long time but if I remember correctly, early Z50's had a resistor in the spark plug boot. Can you unscrew the boot and check it with an OHM meter? And my next question, is the boot contact where it snaps on the plug clean? It's not green and cruddy up inside there is it?

My z50 is also running rough. I took apart the carb and gave it a through cleaning, reassembled it, put it on the bike and it starts easily now. My problem is that I don't know what the two screws do on the left side of the carb do. I tried adjusting them and got to a point where when I rev the z50 it bogs down about 1/4 of the way through the throttle. Can somebody tell me where to get a service manual on my carb or tell me what to do? Thanks in advance. :smile: