Freak-Bikes, Homemades, Customs, Frankenbikes & Oddballs

I74

That Trike is cool as $#it,, but those old Schwinn ''Girder'' front ends, are generally ''very'' flimsy,, & get out of shape real easy,,, in supporting more weight than a kid.
Reason I know,, is we had the mythical 68' ''Grape Krate'' with the Girder front,, & I was to heavy for it,, even back in the later 9O's,, when I weighed around 190.

In the old ''back in the day'' HD & British Bike Chopper world,, a Girder front, had 1 spring,, & a Springer,, had 2. ;)

Lastly,,
Trailing forks on that,, look really bowed,, compaired to what the ones on our Krate were.
Wonder if they got bent, or some kind of non Schwinn aftermarket types ??

I

Last edited:

DaddyJohn

Here is one a friend of mine’s dad made.

Build sheet says:
$3 garage sale golf cart wheel/tire
$40 pressure washer engine
$1 scoop shovel seat
Roto-tiller handlebars and idler pulley
Tractor Supply drive pulley
Lawn tractor fr. wheel w/boat trailer tire
64 Plymouth Hurst shift handle on clutch
Frame/forks are 1” OD water pipe
Railroad spike footpegs
Lug wrench kick stand
Didn’t make it to adding brakes

Attachments

In the old ''back in the day'' HD & British Bike Chopper world,, a Girder front, had 1 spring,, & a Springer,, had 2. ;)
A girder fork works differently than a springer regardless of how many springs either have. In simplest terms, a springer pivots at the bottom while a girder pivots at the top, though there are many variations. I've seen girders with two springs and with three springs (Norton 16H for example). I've seen both girders and springers with four springs (two compression, two rebound), plus other variations. Some girders have one pivot , like that bicycle fork, and some have two pivots with links (a better design that maintains the offset, assuming upper and lower links are equal length). Spring count doesn't define the type of fork.

Here's a girder with two springs, links and a hydraulic dampener.
Girder5.jpg

Do an image search for 'girder fork' and an image search for 'springer fork'. As usual, some results won't match the search term (springers in the girder search and vise versa), you may be surprised by the many variations.

Last edited:
I'm more interested in the green radio Flyer in the background, that's an oddball.
It may have been a special edition but I think it's more likely that someone who obviously likes green repainted it. The decals are available online in whatever size and color you want. I doubt that the decals are officially licensed but that doesn't seem to stop people from reproducing and selling things these days.

I74

A girder fork works differently than a springer regardless of how many springs either have. In simplest terms, a springer pivots at the bottom while a girder pivots at the top, though there are many variations. I've seen girders with two springs and with three springs (Norton 16H for example). I've seen both girders and springers with four springs (two compression, two rebound), plus other variations. Some girders have one pivot , like that bicycle fork, and some have two pivots with links (a better design that maintains the offset, assuming upper and lower links are equal length). Spring count doesn't define the type of fork.

View attachment 307316

Do an image search for 'girder fork' and an image search for 'springer fork'. As usual, some results won't match the search term (springers in the girder search and vise versa), you may be surprised by the many variations.
WA

View attachment 307316

Whatever Charles ,, it's like you just have to be frigg'n Anal about whatever I post. :rolleyes:
Seems like you always liked pissing on my Parade ''regardless'' anyways.,, like when you prematurally pulled my ''Pd.''membership around 3 years ago...
Go figure why I haven't pd. for another one since,, or posted much in the last couple of years,, other than once & awhile on my own threads....

Last edited:
WA

Whatever Charles ,, it's like you just have to be frigg'n Anal about whatever I post. :rolleyes:
Seems like you always liked pissing on my Parade ''regardless'' anyways.,, like when you prematurally pulled my ''Pd.''membership around 3 years ago...
Go figure why I haven't pd. for another one since,, or posted much in the last couple of years,, other than once & awhile on my own threads....
I don't know what you are talking about and I can't pull anyone's membership, I'm not an administrator or even a moderator and never have been.