Newbie with 1960 Go Kart Greenhorn Enduro

After years of searching I came across this forum today and am very excited.

About 10 years ago I inherited a 1960 Go Kart Mfg. Greenhorn Enduro Model 100 with a Clinton 2 1/2 hp Panther motor. It was my cousin's and with the exception of the seat that he modified to support his big butt, it is all original down to the tires. He was a pack rat and kept everything stored in his heated basement. I was there the day he bought it and got to ride it and fall off of it on the first day. It was literally the starting point in what developed into a life long involvement in the motorcycle industry.

I have the original sales receipt, factory sales brochure, factory parts diagram, owner's manual and spare master link. All the factory labels and serial number are still on the frame and engine. After some 40 years of being in storage, a little premix gas and a couple of pulls and it fired right up.

So first question is: How rare is it and how much is it worth ? And is it worth more original or restored ? I was told when I first got it that it might be worth several thousand dollars given its originality.

No, it's not for sale !!!

Next question is: Where can I get a few missing parts for the Clinton Panther ? There is a cast bracket on top and behind the big engine cover on the left. Obviously there was something there before but is now missing and I don't know what it was. There is no kill switch so maybe that is what is missing. The parts diagram only shows the motor as one part and the picture is too small to identify this piece. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Last questions is: Are there any minibike meets in Colorado ?

C9H13NO3

After years of searching I came across this forum today and am very excited.

About 10 years ago I inherited a 1960 Go Kart Mfg. Greenhorn Enduro Model 100 with a Clinton 2 1/2 hp Panther motor. It was my cousin's and with the exception of the seat that he modified to support his big butt, it is all original down to the tires. He was a pack rat and kept everything stored in his heated basement. I was there the day he bought it and got to ride it and fall off of it on the first day. It was literally the starting point in what developed into a life long involvement in the motorcycle industry.

I have the original sales receipt, factory sales brochure, factory parts diagram, owner's manual and spare master link. All the factory labels and serial number are still on the frame and engine. After some 40 years of being in storage, a little premix gas and a couple of pulls and it fired right up.

So first question is: How rare is it and how much is it worth ? And is it worth more original or restored ? I was told when I first got it that it might be worth several thousand dollars given its originality.

No, it's not for sale !!!

Next question is: Where can I get a few missing parts for the Clinton Panther ? There is a cast bracket on top and behind the big engine cover on the left. Obviously there was something there before but is now missing and I don't know what it was. There is no kill switch so maybe that is what is missing. The parts diagram only shows the motor as one part and the picture is too small to identify this piece. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Last questions is: Are there any minibike meets in Colorado ?
While we at OldMiniBikes consider ourselves to be very knowledgable regarding all things minibike, we do not give appraisals.

It is worth whatever someone will pay for it, and I don't know of its rarity, I don't know much of the manufacturer.

I think Bayareaburrito has one though, you might try contacting him. :thumbsup:

440dakota I've never posted pictures before but I'll figure it out and post some asap.

C9H13NO3 I wasn't looking for an actual appraisal. Just an idea of a range of prices that you people see out in the market. The manufacturer was the Go Kart Mfg. Co. out of Azusa, California who I believe (correct me if I'm wrong) invented the go kart in the late 50's.

C9H13NO3

440dakota I've never posted pictures before but I'll figure it out and post some asap.

C9H13NO3 I wasn't looking for an actual appraisal. Just an idea of a range of prices that you people see out in the market. The manufacturer was the Go Kart Mfg. Co. out of Azusa, California who I believe (correct me if I'm wrong) invented the go kart in the late 50's.
Alright, I see what you wanted now.

I don't think we've seen to many of these on the market, at least I've only seen a few and they were "barn finds" that were in terrible shape.

I'm 99% sure it is Bayareaburrito who has one of these bikes, which he bought from KB2Rocket.

Good luck, and if you need help posting pictures if you email them to me I can post them.

Welcome aboard. Like was already mentioned, we try not to give values because it tends to drive up prices. That said, it is definately one of the rarer and sought after bikes.

Price would be dictated by who and how many people happen to be bidding on it on ebay that day just like anything on ebay. Finnicky place for sure..

He (B.A.B.) also purchased a bare frame from Edwin. Injuntom has one also I believe.
Mine's actually a Flexo, which came later in the evolution after Go Kart MFG went bankrupt and got bought up by Flexo. There are minor differences.

Mine is currently wearing the Super Scrambler forks and a bunch of incorrect parts, but I also have the narrow low rise and a pair of narrow low rise forks for it. Mine will end up with the low rise forks. I have the 5" Go Powers, nice West Bend, Kenny seat, etc stashed.

I have the original sales receipt, factory sales brochure, factory parts diagram, owner's manual.
meloman
Welcome to OldMiniBikes glad you found us..
Hope you stick around and become a contributing member of our happy family..
Great story and and evey greater find.. Hope to see some pictures of your Green Horn.. and possibably some scans of the brochures you have..

Here is a link that might be of interest to you..:thumbsup:
http://www.oldminibikes.com/forum/project-logs/37188-go-kart-cycle-big-bear-scrambler.html
http://http://www.oldminibikes.com/forum/mini-bikes-parts-wanted/45502-go-kart-scrambler-greenhorn.html

Welcome to the forum meloman, pics are a must:thumbsup: here is my Flexo as found for $30:doah: its in peices now waiting for the right motor and some fixin up:laugh:

Thanks everyone for your input. I'm amazed at how fast I got responses about a basically obscure toy.

B.A.B.: Thanks for the links and pix and I'll be happy to scan and share all the stuff I have. I just started cleaning the bike the day before I found this forum. So when I'm done I'll take some photos and then check out Photobucket and figure out how to post them.
Re: the seat on your Scrambler, is that the original shape and size ? If so, would it be possible to get the dimensions ?

Harleys Papa: Thanks for the photo. It makes my restoration seem simple and almost unnecessary. I look forward to someday seeing the "AFTER" picture.

I figured out the mysterious bracket on top of my motor was from the governor assembly that my cousin must have removed immediately.
(We don't need no stinkin' governor). So I won't worry about that.

Now all i need to find is the spring steel clip that attaches to the spark plug and swivels down to kill the motor. Then i'm ready to rock and roll.

Anyone know where to find one ?

B.A.B. Thanks so much for the measurements. That will make duplicating the seat much easier.

Since you seem to be the Greenhorn Guru, do you know where I can find the little metal plate that snaps onto the spark plug to kill the motor ?

Thanks so much for the measurements. That will make duplicating the seat much easier.

Since you seem to be the Greenhorn Guru, do you know where I can find the little metal plate that snaps onto the spark plug to kill the motor?

meloman
Thank you for the kind words..
I'm no guru by any stretch of the word.. I fake it most of the time:laugh:
I just happened to be fortunate enough to purchase one..
As for the the Clinton part your looking for I would have to say try ebay?
I think I know what your looking for but if you had a picture of it a few members might be able to identify it and help to locate one.

Last edited:
Thanks Bay, I already have that sheet as well as the original catalog and spec sheet. So that's one less item I need to scan. If you don't have the catalog I can scan that and email it to you. Let me know.

I'm still hoping to find the spark plug kill lever. Any suggestions ?

If you don't have the catalog I can scan that and email it to you. Let me know.

I'm still hoping to find the spark plug kill lever. Any suggestions?
I'd love a copy of whatever info you might have on the Go Kart / Flexo Company...
There just aren't that many pieces of info available..
Your best bet is to just scan what you have @ 300dpi full color and upload docs to photobucket...
Photobucket is free and will allow other to see your scans..
If you need more info on how to accomplish this shoot me a PM.. you should have enough posts to PM

You might be consider just making one if you can't locate it?