Firemarshal71's Open Class Chopper

The new job is going good Joe, thanks for asking. Your chopper turned out great, the over all stance is awesome, and the air scoop is awesome, really unique. :thumbsup:

trying to load the test run video, having difficulties but should be here shortly. I had a bad dream last night that my rake and trail were off and would never run with suitable stability. Put my old bones on it right after work this evening and took it out back (without a seat). My ass hurts now, but it was fun as all hell and a very rewarding experience. I don't have time this weekend to work on a seat but maybe sometime next week I can finish it up and take some more slack out of the chain. thank you all for the support, help, and new friendships. I am so glad I participated.

FM71 Chopper - YouTube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yaDrnzTDnUM&feature=youtu.be

Last edited:
thank you DJ, Tom, and Karen. No I was taking it easy in the grass, it pulled right through but the yard is still so soft from all the floods we just had and the long rake makes it very sensative to steering. The gearing choice was spot on and it feels slightly higher on top end than my other 212 minibike and not as torque'y. It does sound good too but its hard to tell from the camera we were using.

I will get it on the street once I let the chain slack some more for final adjustment since the only way I can adjust the forward chain is to remove the half link I put in (almost stretched/worn enough at this point to do so). It really is a small bike, just very long. Here's a pic of my last build for perspective.

Last edited:
Thanks Don -I know you'll do just fine, I just had to wrap this up and finish what I had. I suppose that's what happens when you don't really have a plan but it was fun and now time for me to move on with the other things I have been putting off in my life. Going to start with cleaning out the garage which is a complete wreck and tackle the basement remodel which has been a project for the past 6 years and not done yet. I swear sometimes by the time I finish a renovation/remodel it's outdated when I finally get it finished. Never figure out how I can be so good at managing other peoples projects, and so crappy at my own. :doah:

Last edited:
someone said I needed to post something for the month but not sure why the 1st didn't count. Going to post an off-topic picture of something a friend just sent me.

by the way, my project will get its seat installed once I finish my finals this week.

check this out:

Looks like a well built bike and has a nice stance to it!
thanks Owend, it makes a pretty comfortable ride too.

Getting around to finishing up the seat, laminated some 3/32 plywood from a boat build left over and will be glassing it later this evening. Very little padding will go on top and then covered in whatever 'pleather' I can find around here. Spent the last couple weeks just trying to get the garage cleaned out and organized, still much to go.

Last edited:
thanks Owend, it makes a pretty comfortable ride too.

Getting around to finishing up the seat, laminated some 3/32 plywood from a boat build left over and will be glassing it later this evening. Very little padding will go on top and then covered in whatever 'pleather' I can find around here. Spent the last couple weeks just trying to get the garage cleaned out and organized, still much to go.
more seat pics in progress, used expanding foam in a can similar to the way I seen guys in San Diego building budget surf boards...