painted the DB and stuck a different engine in it

i just spray bombed it satin black and red. i'm sick of not riding it since the GX160 for it is in pieces so i stuck a 5hp Briggs in it that i picked up today. it fit perfect with the engine mount plate. it feels like a turd compared to what i'm used to with the other engine, but it's better than nothing. the Briggs came with the header and he said it has a high compression head on it too (forgot to ask if it was just milled or what). i'm happy with the engine and will probably try to find an old frame to stick it in.

i also got a GX120 from the same guy and i think i'm going to leave it in the other frame i have for now. i just need to get all the parts so i can actually ride it. it turns out the AGK header and air filter adapter for the 160/200 engines also fits the 120.

Strange, our 5HP $20 tiller engined Bonanza can stay with our cloned 6.5 and tav-ed DB.

Milling the head "can" mess with breathing, who knows what was done. Chain looks far away too.

And for the "antique" IGNORANT 5hp briggs can make 12 HP and they last.
:thefinger:

Strange, our 5HP $20 tiller engined Bonanza can stay with our cloned 6.5 and tav-ed DB.

Milling the head "can" mess with breathing, who knows what was done. Chain looks far away too.
i'm sure it feels slow to me because i'm used to riding with the modded 5.5 clone (should be 10+hp i'd guess) and my friend's 110cc DB which feels fast since it has the transmission.

the chain is exactly the same as when i had the clone in it. i stuck this in expecting to have to add/remove some links but didn't have to.

quality clone????? are you serious? buddy look at the name of this website! look who your messing with! Show some respect! Briggs engines are quality (USA!) and can produce alot of HP when you do it right i have seen briggs engines out-run clones many times! I will never run a clone on a bike unless its the real thing>honda and on another side briggs engines are much more simple and WAYYYYY easier to work on in my experiences! dont say its bad just because it old! please take another look at the name of this website and show us some respect!!!

Last edited:
please take another look at the name of this website and show us some respect!!!
all you guys need to shut up with this name stuff. :thumbdown:

i don't particularly like the old motors and the hondas/clones make more power stock. my 5.5 clone would rape my friend's 5hp Tec flathead and i weigh probably 70lbs more than him. we both had very similar gearing.

quality clone????? are you serious? buddy look at the name of this website! look who your messing with! Show some respect! Briggs engines are quality (USA!) and can produce alot of HP when you do it right i have seen briggs engines out-run clones many times! I will never run a clone on a bike unless its the real thing>honda and on another side briggs engines are much more simple and WAYYYYY easier to work on in my experiences! dont say its bad just because it old! please take another look at the name of this website and show us some respect!!!
OLDMINIBIKES.com OK I looked at it. Hmmmm. Old as in not new. In a bugs life old is yesterday. To a dog old is last year. To a 1 year OLD 1 year ago was birth. Lets see old everything is old to somebody. MiniBikes, Notice the "S" now this means there is more than ONE type of MINIBIKE.

So My (our) DB's are old or you could say they represent the past. Either way they are here to stay.

There is no disrespect to the older engines its the fact that the new ones have more power out of the box and achieve the same if not more power when modified. If anybody is showing disrespect its YOU posting in the DB area of the website.:thefinger:

Hey alfalfa if your so into the name and all why dont you become a supporting member???

Last edited:
I don't post here enough to become a supporting member.. I'm really happy Hent gave us the opportunity to share our thoughts and ideas about OLDminibikes. those doodlebugs are ok bikes but I havn't been liking all the BS that these DB guys have been causing lately.... this website was meant for old bikes. the only reason i was browsing the DB area was i like to look at your ideas and your projects so maybe i can incorporate them in some of my future projects.... (i have learned to except DB's) why can't we just have a truce???? or you guys can get your own website... < if worse comes to worse....

I agree a truce is what is needed. Everybody needs to except everybody else and there ideas, knowledge, style of mini, old, new, age, and whatever I forgot(but not pocketbikes? seems kinda silly but whatever). I love looking at all the older minis to see what has been done. My overall goal is to get a couple older minis and ride them.

those doodlebugs are ok bikes but I havn't been liking all the BS that these DB guys have been causing lately....
it was mainly the people that don't like DBs and clones that started it. the majority the DB stuff stays in the DB section, it's just that most new people can't figure out how to post in the correct section.

i don't wanna play the "who started it" game but i think we need a sticky to tell newbs not to bash on old and new bikes < and some regular members too ( i don't want to point fingers)

Last edited:

Oldsalt

strigoi
See what you started! Putting a Briggs engine in a db is kinda like the cheap guy I know that painted the pinstriping on his hot rod rather than buying expensive decals from Pep Boys. I now have a DB [did some work and was given it for free] and I gotta confess that Winston Spencer Churchill was right when he said "In for a Penny....In for a Pound!" Although I'm just planning on storing it, if I were to replace the engine with something that worked it might as well be a C.H. Ina clone so all the components felt cozy with each other.

Your reply's are as interesting as clone swaps in doodle bugs,,, fascinating stuff! :thumbsup:

i don't wanna play the "who started it" game but i think we need a sticky to tell newbs not to bash on old and new bikes < and some regular members too ( i don't want to point fingers)
Your lucky to even have a place to talk, Hent is into classics ya dumb ass. :thumbsup:

125ccCrazy

Some people just get to rediculous over these bikes, they are all just material items that will eventually pass away like everything else, instead of bashing on each other because we don't do what the next guy likes and does and instead encourage each other to keep building and saving the bikes from the shredder.... I'm building my bikes my way and if others don't like them well thats thier perogative but don't bash me because you would have done it different..

One of my projects is a bonanza that was pretty beat down, I'm putting a two speed on it and a new style modified IC 5hp briggs, I saved it from a guy that did nothing but let it rot away...