Tank repair needed….

Was the stud threaded into a bung in the glass? Can you use your conventional means to remove the broken stud?
Is there any clearance below the tank or does the repair need to be flush?

No it’s like an elevator bolt/stud….flat larger top…needs someone with knowledge and a steady hand to dremel out the old before new goes in…

Bird Brain

Hows that repair coming? I was wondering if you wouldn't be better off not attempting removal of the broke stud for risk of leaking but better Screenshot_20230326-190945-668.png using a large head riv nut (pictured) and just glassing that in over top the broken portion? Id think that might be safest route?

125ccCrazy

Tank arrived and is underway.. I cut the plate out, I'll drill the stud out and weld a new one to the plate.. I have to grind the bad areas down to clean glass and lay in new mat.. the tank looked as it must have leaked before so it will get cleaned out and sealed after the repairs are finished... I can smell fuel soaked into the fiberglass when I was cutting out the plate.

Attachments

Ok so I went on another little adventure yesterday to pick up my mx tank and met yet another fantastic OldMiniBikes member @125ccCrazy….he did an awesome job on my tank ended up buying another different style tank for my bonzoon bike….thanks again randi

I guess I should add he not only repaired the stud but relined it as well and fixed the screw holes in the side…

and if any of you are needing a mx tank don’t spend $1000 call this guy!

Last edited: