10 horse in a heathkit boonie

Okay a while back i traded a guy a doodle bug i bought for 20 bucks for his heathkit boonie. And he gave me 30 bucks so i did alright. Got it home and the "it only needs carb work" was a lie because of very low compression in the 3.5 tecumseh. So i found a 10hp tecumseh from a buddy and am picking it up this weekend. Has anyone put a motor that big in a boonie??

If the engine physically fits within the frame it will work, the only thing you will need to address will be the 1" shaft on the engine, you can purchace a clutch to fit or pull the crank and have someone turn it down to 3/4" and cut a keyway which I have had done in the past, the Boonie is a well built mini but that 10HP is going to hammer it................Tom.

ive got a video somewhere of me cutting a 1 inch crank down to 3/4 with the motor running attached to the go kart and an angle grinder...

and before anyone says that wont work, it DOES. just dont leave the kart on the tires it will start bouncing, oscillation will give you a funny curved crank. Luckily i noticed before i got too far and put jackstands under the kart frame. I eyeballed and lowered the high spots, cranked it back up and continued. its plenty true now... i actually stopped RIGHT before 3/4 because i was going to switch to a less aggressive disc sander to finish and then got all ADD and worked on something else.... doenst matter i cant keep those 8hp briggs from flooding gas out the carb anyway haha

oh and still have to cut the keyway with a dremel.

i should be ashamed... i HAVE a machine shop. like a real one.... at home... just too lazy to pull apart to put on lathe and mill. I was thinking about chucking the whole engine up in the lathe and simply leaving the plug out. i think ive heard of someone doing it that way...

jeep4me

You'll need to make some new motor mount slots as well. The 10hp will have a different offset, on the crank side of the engine, than the 3.5hp tecumseh.
Unless, you run a jack shaft and run the first sprocket on the outside of the jack shaft stand.

According to measurments iv done on the bike the engine should have just over a half of an inch between the motor and the top of the fuel tank. My plan is to run a torque converter set up and i was told by a few people to put dimples in the shaft where the set screws go and that will work just fine. What do you guys think? But how much would it cost just to have it milled down and keyed?