1946 Doodlebug?????

Hi there, i am new to the forums. I have had many mini's and scooters, but this is my first Doodlebug. If anyone could help me out on a few question i would greatly appreciate it.

I was told that they put the B&S engines and Clinton engines on these. From looking at pics i have came to the conclusion this is a Clinton.

Is that correct? I have never seen a pull start one before, was that a different option over the kick start?

As you can see it is in rough shape to say the least, engine wont turn more then a few inches.

Thanks for all your help in advance. I'm trying to see if i should sell it and put the money into my daughters piggy bank or restore it.

Last edited:
Looks to be a fairly complete Doodlebug.And that does look like a Clinton engine.Some people would argue that you found the holy grail of minibikes.Value? depends on who's looking for a near complete bug.Keep it, Restore it.Be prepaired though to lay out some bucks.

Here's a site you can check out.

http://doodlebugsyrmw.com/

Last edited:
Looks to be a fairly complete Doodlebug.And that does look like a Clinton engine.Some people would argue that you found the holy grail of minibikes.Value? depends on who's looking for a near complete bug.Keep it, Restore it.Be prepaired though to lay out some bucks.
Thank you for you advice. I may prob keep it and restore it. If i do i would like to keep it as stock as possible and rebuild the engine. I hate putting new parts on a piece of history. LOL

Thanks again

Last edited:
On the stamp plate it says 10/46 c, does that mean it was made in OCT 1946 and is a model C? On the plate where it says MODEL is is blank behind it, the ser# is like 10,xxx i think.

Oldsalt

As I recall in 46 only Briggs engines were used, but I'm not an expert. In any case the Clinton is the really rare engine that was used. Suggest that you get ahold of the fine gentleman at Yesterdays Rides Metalworks, Inc. doodlebugsyrmw.com. He has parts books and etc. Re-manufactures frames and other parts. The attached picture is him assembling the fixture that holds the parts to weld up a new frame. I own a 46 and took the pic when I was at his shop.

PS I too would be interested in purchasing the scooter.

MINI-MATIC

In the first year 1946,Both Briggs and Clintons were used.The Clinton was a 710ASLB, Briggs used a NP engine 306705 being first.There were very few Clinton versions which did not extend into 1947 as briggs did.All were Kickstart ONLY:thumbsup:

It actually looks like a Briggs.. :confused: If it's a 46, and the motor is a briggs.. Thats what it would look like.. Any better pics of the motor? It looks like a Briggs N

Yup.. That cover is a DEAD give away.. :thumbsup: The little hood thing is 40's 50's Briggs only.. Nice bike man.. :thumbsup: A DOODLE BUG!! Not a China Bug..

MINI-MATIC

That is a NP Briggs,WRONG base though and missing the Kickstart the 2 most important parts of the correct engine setup.Has the Mechanical governor,thats how I can tell it's most likely a NP.I have an original Doodlebug Base I will sell for $150.00 I also have a Doodlebug bare block I may consider selling.If you dont sell the bike as is and deside to part it out,I would be interested in the Jackshaft.:thumbsup:

Don't part this bike out.Regardless of what's WRONG or missing.Still a pretty complete bike.Clinton or no Clinton.You might want to step back and wait a while on your sale.Don't let your new ''friends'' here affect your judgement.

hi, hello, what do i have here? oh its worth money, ok, it's for sale.:laugh:
I was planning on restoring it, until i heard it would cost me upward of 2k to do it right. I don't have that kind of money to drop on a minibike, just figured someone that had the ability and know how would be interested in it. I was told not to take less then 1500 for it, but im not greedy.

I was planning on restoring it, until i heard it would cost me upward of 2k to do it right. I don't have that kind of money to drop on a minibike, just figured someone that had the ability and know how would be interested in it. I was told not to take less then 1500 for it, but im not greedy.
Relax, I was just messing with you. It's a great piece of history and I'm sure someone out there will snatch it up when the right price/time comes along.

with LOTS of TLC and parts hunting, it could very well turn in to this....

Last edited:
Relax, I was just messing with you. It's a great piece of history and I'm sure someone out there will snatch it up when the right price/time comes along.

with LOTS of TLC and parts hunting, it could very well turn in to this....

No Worries. I know what u mean. I wish i has the ability to restore it like that one. Very cool piece of history..