1946 Doodlebug?????

Thanks guys.

Sold for $700 Local. He has 4 and restores them. I feel good it went to a good home.
You are happy, and the guy who got it is certainly happy considering the condition and price. That's what counts. I'm not greedy but have a rare trailbike that was raced and I'm gonna get as much as I can for it given it's rarity and the fact is I have bought and sold vehicles of all kinds for profit for many years and dont get too attached to an item if the profit is right. If someone called me greedy it's cool, buying low and selling high is the American way as I was taught it. I will make sure it goes to a good home, a home with lots of money so they can part with a tidy sum to own this rare machine!:laugh:

You are happy, and the guy who got it is certainly happy considering the condition and price. That's what counts. I'm not greedy but have a rare trailbike that was raced and I'm gonna get as much as I can for it given it's rarity and the fact is I have bought and sold vehicles of all kinds for profit for many years and dont get too attached to an item if the profit is right. If someone called me greedy it's cool, buying low and selling high is the American way as I was taught it. I will make sure it goes to a good home, a home with lots of money so they can part with a tidy sum to own this rare machine!:laugh:

Yea,I offered him $1000.00 plus shipping.He agreed,now I see that he up and sold it on me! I guess though,the extra $300.00 wasn't worth the hassle of haveing to ship it:shrug:

Yea,I offered him $1000.00 plus shipping.He agreed,now I see that he up and sold it on me! I guess though,the extra $300.00 wasn't worth the hassle of haveing to ship it:shrug:

Sorry man, i waited 2 days and never heard a response back after i last pm'd you asking how you wanted to do the payment plan you asked about. I just figured you lost interest in it like the other 5 guys that wanted it. Sorry about that. I would have had no problem doing payments with you or shipping it. I ship jetskis across the country on a weekly basis.

The guy that bought it said the doodlebug will be at the doodlebug rally in webster city this year when it is restored.

Thanks again for every ones help.

There is some misinformation in this thread.

First, the engine shown on the scooter in the original post is a Briggs & Stratton, but it is not an NP. There were many engines at about that time that were similar in looks, bore, stroke, hp rating, etc. And it was not terribly uncommon for the original NP engines to be swaped with 1950s Briggs engines after the kids those days blew them up or ran them out of oil. Your model would have left the factory with an NP.

The Clinton engine (710aslb) was used on 750-1000 of the first production run scooters. Thats generally believed o have been in 1946, but since Doodlebugs don't really have years, nobody knows.

The 1046 number is meaningless...it is not some kind of date code. It is strange they used it as a "type" number, as no other scooter was ever built by Beam Manufacturing.

The C designation is the model number.

I know this thread is basically dead and the machine has been sold, but I can't help myself...if you've got one of these great machines or happen to run across one please understand that they are essentially antiques and they are rare and valuable. It is my opinion that they should remain as original as possible. Sure, it would be your machine to do what you want with, but keep in mind there are plenty of collectors out here that appreciate these machines that will restore them that would be happy to buy your projects. And, if you're lucky enough to have a fairly complete machine, don't part it out, sell it whole.

You can read much more of what I've written on Doodle Bug scooters by running a google search for "aaca Doodle Bug." I've posted quite a bit of detailed technical and restoration information there.

There is some misinformation in this thread.

First, the engine shown on the scooter in the original post is a Briggs & Stratton, but it is not an NP. There were many engines at about that time that were similar in looks, bore, stroke, hp rating, etc. And it was not terribly uncommon for the original NP engines to be swaped with 1950s Briggs engines after the kids those days blew them up or ran them out of oil. Your model would have left the factory with an NP.

The Clinton engine (710aslb) was used on 750-1000 of the first production run scooters. Thats generally believed o have been in 1946, but since Doodlebugs don't really have years, nobody knows.

The 1046 number is meaningless...it is not some kind of date code. It is strange they used it as a "type" number, as no other scooter was ever built by Beam Manufacturing.

The C designation is the model number.

I know this thread is basically dead and the machine has been sold, but I can't help myself...if you've got one of these great machines or happen to run across one please understand that they are essentially antiques and they are rare and valuable. It is my opinion that they should remain as original as possible. Sure, it would be your machine to do what you want with, but keep in mind there are plenty of collectors out here that appreciate these machines that will restore them that would be happy to buy your projects. And, if you're lucky enough to have a fairly complete machine, don't part it out, sell it whole.

You can read much more of what I've written on Doodle Bug scooters by running a google search for "aaca Doodle Bug." I've posted quite a bit of detailed technical and restoration information there.
Doodle Bugger,
You are Wrong,that Engine is Definately a Briggs NP and most likely is the Original engine.What is not original,is that they removed the Kickstart and installed a rope start.This engine has the Mechanical Governor and the Kickstart Base.Definately a NP,most likely the original engine.:thumbsup: