1969 Cat 300TT Done

It's the only year with the welded pegs and disc brakes on the 300 frame. It came in "Ugly Yellow." :wink: I stripped seven coats of paint off with stripper, hand sanded, and applied etching primer. Painted it in my remaining stash of Competition Orange single stage with a 8:1 catalyst in it. (8:2:1) Fisheye city, not the best prep I ever did.

Engine is an early 80's snow blower Tec 4 with the cam shaft cut, and new electrics. Mostly got high speed forks straightened with my press. (Ford F250 and hydraulic jack)

Future plans are pit bike suspension and wheels with Motovox fenders.​

When I got the bike, it had a Cat wheel with a brake drum welded to it. Got a sprocket from Buckeye for free, and a Taiwan brake assy and slapped it together. That's a Jeff Clark clutch cover, a Kenny seat (I think) and original chrome on the bars, with Spanky decals too.

This bike goes 60 MPH easily.​

45t

WOW, Looking good!

Im guilty of one of the seven layers of School Bus Yellow paint you had to remove. Sorry :doah: :biggrin:

You did a great job taking it to the level it needed to go. :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Very nice and clean looking. I love Cats.
Thank you. I think they're cool too, but I look pretty damn funny riding it down the street. (I assume it's me they're laughing at)

WOW, Looking good!

I guilty of one of the seven layers of School Bus Yellow paint you had to remove. Sorry :doah: :biggrin:

You did a great job taking it to the level it needed to go. :thumbsup:
LOL, while I was cursing the amount of paint, I was thinking how well that paint had preserved the frame. One of the most rust-free frames I've seen.

I could have totally tricked it out, but it was in good enough shape to spruce it up. I filled in several holes on the engine plate, and fixed a crack in a mount slot. Regular old minibike stuff. :thumbsup:

45t

Its come along way, and Dave surely took it to "show quality". :thumbsup:

Here is what it looked like in April 2012.

And the seventh layer of Paint Summer 2012.

Its come along way, and Dave surely took it to "show quality". :thumbsup:
I call BS. I'd never seen the earlier photo, but it's apparent you did a lot of repair to it. Pegs, fill in the chain slot, wheels, and with that welded brake, it was one of my best stoppers. :thumbsup:

Far from show quality Mitch, but it's a decent rider, and it was when I got it from you.

As an aside, I was surprised to see no primer beneath the original paint. Also, some of the original welds were not of the quality I see in some of the other Cats. 69 was an oddball year, all the way around.

I'd love to get the fenders, but I'm tired of paying 100 bucks for a set.

Beautiful and great job. Hand sanded......that's the way I roll as well. :thumbsup:
Thank you. I have nothing but time, so I do my own stuff. I saw the sanding comments on your Spyder thread, and was surprised at the sanding comments. (Cool bike by the way)

It seems to bring the metal down just enough to clean scratches, right? Plus, I get a better feel for any metal that needs fixed.

Heck, once you spend all the time with the paint stripper, hand sanding is a breeze! lol...

45t

I call BS. I'd never seen the earlier photo, but it's apparent you did a lot of repair to it. Pegs, fill in the chain slot, wheels, and with that welded brake, it was one of my best stoppers. :thumbsup:

Far from show quality Mitch, but it's a decent rider, and it was when I got it from you.

As an aside, I was surprised to see no primer beneath the original paint. Also, some of the original welds were not of the quality I see in some of the other Cats. 69 was an oddball year, all the way around.

I'd love to get the fenders, but I'm tired of paying 100 bucks for a set.

The bike was very homely when I got it (very bad blue paint job). I did straighten the pegs & repaint the wheels but i didn't do any repairs to the engine plate. It looks like the chain slot is missing a chunk in the photos, but its just grease/oil and the chain is sitting on it. :detective:

That brake was an ugly set up, but I too admit that it worked good? Its one of the times that I saw a previous owners weird modification actually work. :laugh: As far as the fenders, I've never had luck on any of my Cats getting a good or complete set. I decided early on just to take them off, if they were present at all, and go fenderless. :punk:

Last edited:
Thank you. I have nothing but time, so I do my own stuff. I saw the sanding comments on your Spyder thread, and was surprised at the sanding comments. (Cool bike by the way)

It seems to bring the metal down just enough to clean scratches, right? Plus, I get a better feel for any metal that needs fixed.

Heck, once you spend all the time with the paint stripper, hand sanding is a breeze! lol...
Yes sir!! Agree on all aspects.

NiCE!

That bike is Awsome! Never saw one with welded pegs or a 300TT and I'm sure for good reason..

I don't mean to high jack your thread. I recently sold a 400X roller but kept everything that was cool on it.
I'm telling you because one of the items is a almost period correct HS40 motor for that bad boy of yours!
Nice work!

If you want people to think it's a 69-70 model you can roll with a older looking motor!

Last edited: