1972 ct70 orange

Its a 72cc which moves pretty good. It is also a 4 speed semiautomatic (no clutch) which is odd I think....
It must be a rare one. All the id's on the bikes say either 3 sp auto clutch, or 4 sp manual clutch. I guess Honda put them on their later model 3 wheelers.

Is there any chance that this might have been modified to a 4speed over the years? Nice bike.

Semi-automatic Honda minbikes without a hand clutch in the 70's far outnumbered those with a hand clutch. I do not believe they ever sold one in the 50 or 90 CC bike model range and your CT70 only had the option from maybe (don't quote me here) 1970 through perhaps 1973. My CT90 and ST90 bikes never had a hand clutch option though a few people have shoe-horned one in using a Honda parts bin swap of some sort. You could likely do the same using parts from one of the "HK" models of CT70.

The semi-automatic bikes outsold the hand clutch bikes probably five to one. So your bike is not odd at all - quite normal, actually.

Rick

Yes. My semi auto CT90s are both four speeds - eight speeds if you count the hi / low range shifter. These bikes could almost climb the garage door in first gear low range.

Rick

Two CT90 and two ST90 bikes

Yes. My semi auto CT90s are both four speeds - eight speeds if you count the hi / low range shifter. These bikes could almost climb the garage door in first gear low range.

Rick

LOL, I was asking about semi auto CT70's.

In 1968, my first bike was a CT90- very used at the time. 4 speed semi auto.

Sorry for the thread jack. I am very curious about the CT70's since there seems to be a wide variety of conflicting data on the web.

I only know of hand clutched four speeds and semi auto three speeds in the CT70 model range unless somebody cobbled something together.

Rick

From what I know,this bike has many different parts. But I haven't seen any other mention of semi automatic 4 speeds in ct70s just 3 speed semi automatics. I think I need a new ignition to get the lights to work but the guy I got it from did have it registered and had a current plate on it. Worst case is I just take off the blinkers. Since it didn't come with them in 1972 I won't need them. Just hand signals. I just need to get the headlight and twilight working.

Thats what I'm thinkin, it's probably a later Chonda motor.. Honda is pretty proud of their stuff, and usually has Honda cast into the points cover..

I think the intake is just on backwards.. :laugh: