1972 X90- Let get it running

This bike has been in the family since the late 70's. It was parked when the throttle cable broke. The vent on the gas cap was left open so the tank is rusted on the inside.

Anyone have a source for a new throttle cable?
Any way of saving the tank?
Carb kit?

I just want to get it running again to allow my sons to have the joy of riding it like I had.

Thank you for any assistance you can give.

The ugly part.

toomanytoys

That gas tank doesn't look that bad as long as there aren't holes rusted through.

Fill it up with a good solvent. Add in some nuts, washer, ball bearings whatever. Anything metal or hard that is going to beat around to remove the garbage from the walls. Shake it till your arms feel like they are going to fall off. Dump it out, flush it out. And repeat till all the stuff is cleaned out or as clean as its going to get.

Next go find some gas tank sealant. Por-15 or the like. Coat the tank following the instructions.

Should be good as new.

As for the carb kit and the cable X-90 Rider or someone will come along and help you there. I never owned one of these bikes.

Also wanted to say good deal on saving the bike so the kids can ride it! That is a nice little bike and I imagine the kids won't be the only ones riding it!

Last edited:
That is a decent looking bike. It is a 1973 X-90(manufactured in 1972).

There are 3 cables. The first cable(part #56362-73P) goes from the twist grip to the equalizer box. The second cable(part #56372-73P) goes from the equalizer box to the carburetor. The third cable(part #56373-73P) goes from the equalizer box to the oil pump.

The 3 cables are also available as a complete assembly(part #56371-73P).

I would call Matt at Jim's Harley in Mendon, Ohio, #419-795-4185. If he does not have the parts that you need he can usually steer you in the right direction. :thumbsup:

capguncowboy

That gas tank doesn't look that bad as long as there aren't holes rusted through.

Fill it up with a good solvent. Add in some nuts, washer, ball bearings whatever. Anything metal or hard that is going to beat around to remove the garbage from the walls. Shake it till your arms feel like they are going to fall off. Dump it out, flush it out. And repeat till all the stuff is cleaned out or as clean as its going to get..
BBs work really well for this. I use them to clean old jars

I like the BB idea. What kind of solvent should I use? Something like a WD-40 Rust removal soak?

Curiosity has the better of me. Any idea what the bike is worth in its current condition?

toomanytoys

We don't give appraisals here for various reasons. It's a touchy subject.

Acetone, something that will dissolve stuff. I tend to like lacquer thinner as I usually have a few jugs around for cleaning up stuff before paint.

That is a decent looking bike. It is a 1973 X-90(manufactured in 1972).

There are 3 cables. The first cable(part #56362-73P) goes from the twist grip to the equalizer box. The second cable(part #56372-73P) goes from the equalizer box to the carburetor. The third cable(part #56373-73P) goes from the equalizer box to the oil pump.

The 3 cables are also available as a complete assembly(part #56371-73P).

I would call Matt at Jim's Harley in Mendon, Ohio, #419-795-4185. If he does not have the parts that you need he can usually steer you in the right direction. :thumbsup:
Can anyone tell me if the difference between the 56362-73 and the 56362-73P are? I found a local guy that has the 56362-73.

I just called Matt and he got me fixed up with what I needed. I would highly recommend talking with Matt at Jims HD. He took the time to talk me through my issue, to come up with a solution. :thumbsup: