1974 JC Penney duster chopper (cat)!

Dan-E-boy

Yea the only problem is if I don't get job in the near future I'll be having to sell all the stuff I have been working on:doah: Is the "Bonanza brotherhood" hiring?
I hear you on that one Markus! Work slowed down for me the last few months so I had to finish and sell off a few nice ones..:doah:.. I do regret doing so but they helped get the bills paid..:thumbsup:now work is picking back up.. hope it picks back up for you too..:thumbsup:

Some other name suggestions based off yours
pa"Tina"
Tina Patina
Dirty pa"Tina"

Yea the only problem is if I don't get job in the near future I'll be having to sell all the stuff I have been working on:doah: Is the "Bonanza brotherhood" hiring?
There may be positions opening soon..... :thumbsup: Or we're always on the lookout for melon bikes to snatch up too.... :deal:

markus

It runs!!!!

So its been over 2 years since I found this bike.......and I'm still not done :doah:

BUT, today was the first time this bike has ran/drove since the mid 70's :thumbsup:

this is the original engine, it has not been rebuilt, just the basic carb rebuild, points clean/reset, I pulled the head off and cleaned and checked the topend (I put new bolts in as the other were really rotted) drained the oil and put in new.
the spark plug IS still the original, as is the fuel line even! this bike actually had little run time, the engine had never even been moved to adjust the chain. Luckily moisture stayed out of the inside and it seems to run really well :thumbsup:

Excuse the mis-matched look, the original pull start did have an issue. I have been trying to find a nice original black with not much luck, I just slapped this one on to start it. I have the the OG aircleaner too, while this bike sat around for last year I had it pimped out a little with a chrome straight pipe, the velocity stack and a kick start. Its all going back to original though.

1974 jc penney Duster Chopper - YouTube

So this thing actually rides a whole lot better than I imagined! the original clutch works and all but is noisy and sloppy, I didn't have another 11 tooth here. Now I gotta decide if I want to repaint the engine or just detail and blend in with some semi gloss black.

:thumbsup: I remember you having that one Markus. I got the idea for the Cat Hustler sissy bar mount from this thread actually.

I found some flat black high temp paint from ACE that works well on the engines and might match up pretty good with what you have already there.

This is a very cool bike. :thumbsup:

markus

So I dug into my Tecumseh boxes and I found a repainted (badly) black pullstart that with some buffing is at least more presentable than the tan one in the video. I also pulled off the azusa stack and put the original aircleaner back on as well. At this point the only thing non original is the muffler, which I have but I want to try and refresh before reinstallation.

So after another quick clean of the dust and cobwebs its done for awhile. I do kinda think I want to redo the engine I just don't like not having the decals on (they did not survive clean up) but I have to focus on an HS40 and H35 to redo and resale first (gotta pay the bills) and also get to work a couple of other Tec's for some of my other projects. So at least I can cruise around on the chopper while I work on those instead of it just being wall art like it has for the last 2+years.