1977 trail 70 questions - fairly simple

i got a 1977 trail 70 that was a barn find. Didnt run for years, apparently mice got into the wiring harness and had a feast. I just got the bike running, it runs and drives great!!

here are my questions

the carb is new, when the bike sits in idle thru 1/2 throttle it runs great, but when i give it full throttle it kinda bogs down, almost looses power, and when i ease off the throttle, it runs perfect......any ideas??

2nd:
adjusting the clutch, its a 3 speed auto, i know that you got to loosen a nut on the motor, then turn the screw, but im not sure what way to turn the screw? My bike when in first gear @ idle, wants to keep going, like the clutch is engaged? what way do i turn the screw (i know this is trial and error stuff) but if someone knows for sure it saves me time!!!

please let me know
thanks
scott

The carburetor problem is your main jet being too lean.. If they are the same carb, you can probably jut swap out the original jet into your new carb..

If the clutch is constantly pulling, the tranny might be low on oil..

ok so how do i check the oil in the trans?

and how do i adjust the carb so it isnt running so lean

is there a easy way to do it or not really?

The transmission oil is a screw in plug, in the side of the side cover.... Ya screw it out, and fill it until oil comes out.. Pretty well anything with no dipstick, will be fill until gravity tells you that it's overfull.. :laugh:

The main jet in your carburetor is inside the float bowl.. If you take the bowl off, it will be a brass hex bolt screw type of thing.. It has a hole drilled through the center of it.. Thats your jetting size... It will be pretty well the lowest point in the system.. The needle in your slider slides in and out of your main jet.. So if you look through the bore of the carb, the needle is pointing directly at it, very bottom of the carb..

To change it, you just screw it out, and screw in another with larger or smaller jet size.. Just swap out the one from your original carb, into it.. :thumbsup:

OR you can try unclicking that needle, from the slider, then change the groove in the needle, in which the tiny snap ring fits into.. There should be a few different settings for the needle.. That moves it deeper or shallower into the main jet..

Normally.. If the engine is help wide open for miles and miles.. But never ever gets to that good torquing power and going like hell.. The jet is too small..

Last edited: