2014-Open Class Baja Shakey0818

Here's a little update.Not much done due to the cold snap were in.I painted the frame with that blue but i liked the cobalt blue better.Then the kid decided he liked the light blue so i stayed with it.I painted the rims a gray sparkly color.Hopefully soon i can get painting again.I lost the quarter and didn't want to run to the house to get one so i drew one.

Thanks.I'm kinda going both ways on the Smurf Blue.I like the color and it looks good on the frame but i was hoping to go for a stronger look that the cobalt gave.It's all good it is the kids decision anyway.
You must be around the same age as me if you can remember the smurfs. I would have called it electric blue but think it's a cool color either way you call it.:thumbsup:

Our fastenals around here in south Louisiana suck ! They only sale in bulk , you can't buy 1or 2 of anything and they are way to $$$$ , a good mom and pop local hardware store is way better ! Plus you help support a small local buisiness !

Got all the painting done today except the sprocket.Going to Lowes tomorrow to get all new hardware.Pretty happy with the painting except the lines on the fenders.I might try to make them match better.I'm also thinking that i may give the whole bike a few clear coats after i get it assembled.I am not happy with the rear fender i got on-line.It's a flimsy plastic and doesn't seem to be as wide at the front one.Having a hard time finding a tank and front headlight and a rear tail light i like.I dont mind if they dont work just as long as they look good.

Just got done putting Nicholas's mini bike together.Bought all stainless steel nuts and bolts.Next step is to buy a motor or use one I have.Also need to hunt down a gas tank,headlight and re-cover the seat.Starting to look good.

So far what i have into the smurf bike is...
$75 Roller frame/tires
$125 rear fender & misc parts from OldMiniBikes
@$40 in paint
$50 New stainless nuts & bolts.
Total of $290.
I'm figuring another $250-$300 and ill be done.
If he likes it then i will get him new tires.
Cheaper to buy it new but the reward of doing it myself is much more rewarding.

Looking good. I found a long time ago that keeping track of costs will end up making you sick to your stomach. For me, and I imagine others, this is a hobby that I use with disposable income. Like most things, what you think you will end up spending might surprise and most often prove you wrong. Best of luck to the finish line- keep up the great work!:thumbsup:

Looking good. I found a long time ago that keeping track of costs will end up making you sick to your stomach. For me, and I imagine others, this is a hobby that I use with disposable income. Like most things, what you think you will end up spending might surprise and most often prove you wrong. Best of luck to the finish line- keep up the great work!:thumbsup:
Ty sir.
Keeping up with the costs doesn't bother me.It costs what it costs.I got 6 times as much into RC cars and what bothers me about that is the parts break so often.At least with the mini bike everything is built real durable.

buckeye

Bwwwwaaaahhhhaaa!!! Always something wrong with the dwmn things.
That's why I keep 1 or ten around.:laugh:

Nice project for sure.:thumbsup:

Not much progress made other than a little more paint and trying ti get the engine in.I had to soak the bolts to that guard so it will fit.I need to try to get new bearings for the goose neck or whatever its called and a few other nuts and bolts.Not sure where to get them i have to do a search.Also i have to do a search for the book so i can make sure everything goes back on right .

are you talking about the steering neck? bring the old ones to a bike shop and they will match them up. the ones i got weren't exact but close enough and work great. old ones were plastic vs new ones metal cage.

Here's a update with a few questions.First ill post picts from my phone then ask the questions when I get on my comp.
View attachment 61669 View attachment 61670 View attachment 61671 View attachment 61672 View attachment 61673

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I527 using Tapatalk

I'm glad to being close to riding this thing and giving it to my cousins kid.I have a few questions about some of the work i have done today.
1)I ordered the wrong chain.I think i ordered a 40.Not sure if thats the amount of links or not but it seems like i need another 16".Is there the right chain available or do i connect 2 chains?
2)I hope i installed the throttle cable right.I did leave off the little nut at the ens so it would fit under the clamp on the engine.When i give it throttle while not running it has a short span of movement.Also it operates on when twisting it but it doesn't go back on its own,Almost like it is missing a spring.
3)The brakes seem ok but the cable seems to be a bit long.I had to move that black arm that the cable goes into back a bit.I did notice that the arm is bent naturally outwards which makes it off center fron the cables running line.Is this ok or should i take that ar off and flip it around?
Sorry for all the questions.This is my first build and i want to get it right so this young kid can ride it safely.
Thanks Rob.

Last edited:
40 is the size not length. youre gonna run the tensioner on the lower loop of chain. not the top. i will have to look back to see what size sprockets ta got.
40 is correct unless you want to step up to 41.
getting rid of the jackshaft made the one chain real long so if you want all new, get another chain to make it longer. normally there are 2 chains.

Last edited:
The # is your pitch not link/length. I buy 41 chain in 4 ft lengths and cut to size. From the angle of the picture, I can't picture your chain clearing the frame rail going back to the underside of the sprocket but it might just be the angle I am looking at. As DJ mentioned, you need to place the tensioner on the bottom (slack side) of chain- this might also allow you to clear the frame rail that I mentioned. I can't answer the other questions because my eyesight is failing to see what you are asking but sounds like you need a heavier return spring on the throttle, it might be binding somewhere, or you have some missing pieces. Is the throttle mount on the engine free or snugged up for the manual operation?