2016 Vintage Tote Gote Model 500

Status
Not open for further replies.
The bike turned out beautiful Dave! Although I didn't expect anything less from you. How does she ride? Looks like a nice sized bike for a taller guy.

The bike turned out beautiful Dave! Although I didn't expect anything less from you. How does she ride? Looks like a nice sized bike for a taller guy.
Thanks Pat. I'm a bit over 6' and I feel very comfortable on it. Tapered bearings and scooter tires instead of snow blower tires and ball bearings make if feel like a larger bike, along with the robust frame. I was concerned about running the fender on the swing arms, since they're independent. So far no problems, and it rides far better than my Boonie bike, or even the Powell.

Down side is that there is some vibration when I open up that Raptor. Another interesting aspect is the proprietary drive system. She stopped the video too soon, but I did a "power brake" burn out with it. The engagement was very smooth, no belt noise, the rear tire dug in and pulled the front wheel off the ground.

Thanks.

Hey Dave, I've never been a Gote fan, just to complicated for me I guess ! But that bike of yours is in a class by itself....Bad Ass is all I can say. Very very nice build !!!!! :thumbsup::thumbsup:
Thanks. You're not alone- a lot of people don't appreciate the gotes. In 1969, I recall a guy who had one, and we considered them Old Man Bikes. (Hmm, maybe that's why I like them now) I attempted to model this one in a more mini bike contemporary fashion, while not giving up it's "Gote" originality. That's why I left the original seat alone- and it's the first seat I've ever got on a bike that didn't need replacement.

Very nice! :thumbsup:
Thanks Kenny

Oh man, that thing is just awesome! The flake pops just the right amount
Thanks. My friend down the street has a big box full of high quality left over powdered pearls. He pretty much let me have my pick. There is no flake in this bike however. The camera doesn't capture what is going on, but we all have that problem on a format where photos and videos are the only ways with which to document.

In the interest of maintaining my integrity and full disclosure, I had some difficulty starting it. I broke the pull start cord. Clearance issues require engine to be removed to replace it. Found cord was only 3.5mm and needs to be 4.5 especially with a higher compression engine. Have that on order.

Investigating why it didn't crank right over, I found out I'd pinched the tank to carb gasket creating a possible air leak, and upon draining the tank through a paint filter, found a bit of debris. I knew better. Caswell Sealer on order, carb is soaking in the cleaner.

I will post another quick video of it running, once rectification is complete. I figure a build off bike ought to at least run until after the build off is over.

Perfect example of why I love this hobby. Translation: I knew it was running too damn good to be true. :thumbsup:

Dave that bike is absolutely beautiful. The work you put into that bike really shows in the finished product. Although you didn't originally plan to use those white wall tires, I can't picture that bike any other way. Great job!

I cant agree more :thumbsup: You have out done your self with this one, the video editing was outstanding :thumbsup:
Dave that bike is absolutely beautiful. The work you put into that bike really shows in the finished product. Although you didn't originally plan to use those white wall tires, I can't picture that bike any other way. Great job!
Thanks guys, (and Yoop with those bigass emotafaces! :laugh: Cruhr1 I am happy with the tires, and glad I ended up with them, thanks. Randy, I use "Movie Maker" but thanks for the comment on the editing.

I've got the carb cleaned, built and back on. I found that the recoil spring had bent, and that's what caused all those issues, probably due to worn pulley bumpers. (Also on order) I really HATE messing with that recoil spring. LOL, and that quart kit of Caswell just set me back $50.

Turned out really nice Dave:thumbsup:....post a video so we can lock this thread up.:hammer:
Thanks Bill,
I posted a video a couple of pages ago. I broke it after that. Parts are on order and I'll have it up and running again this week. If not, I will drop out. But I'll have it running. :laugh:

[video=youtube;DcFrWzOXYHI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DcFrWzOXYHI&feature=youtu.be[/video]

Thanks Bill,
I posted a video a couple of pages ago. I broke it after that. Parts are on order and I'll have it up and running again this week. If not, I will drop out. But I'll have it running. :laugh:

[video=youtube;DcFrWzOXYHI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DcFrWzOXYHI&feature=youtu.be[/video]
Yes you did..sorry about that...went through the last 5 pages and couldn't see it with all the pics and banter...lol. Thanks for participating. Ok..gonna lock it down and congrats on another really nice build Dave

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.