$25.00 Bonanza so far

Blue sparkle or pits showing thru?

Wow, I love the color, it looks like a blue sparkle paint. Did the pitting get filled in with grey primer so that what I see is the mettallic paint. It looks great. Is it a spray can and is it clear coated? I see lots of other motors and bikes in the background, looks like a fun garage! Have fun with it!

1stlegendtx

Wow, I love the color, it looks like a blue sparkle paint. Did the pitting get filled in with grey primer so that what I see is the mettallic paint. It looks great. Is it a spray can and is it clear coated? I see lots of other motors and bikes in the background, looks like a fun garage! Have fun with it!
Thanks. Its the Blue metal speck paint with Clear over that. I really like there Metal speck paints. So far I did a Cat 250 in the Green and this one in the blue. I got an Ruttman (I think Wild Goose) for Fathers day that I am going to use the Red on.

Bonanza looks good from here... 'specially for $25.00

I'm working on my Cat 250X project... lots of rust on the left side lower frame loop where it sat in the dirt for years.... glass beaded & primed the crap out of it and even with thick powder coat, you can still see the rust pitting.

mardyn

125ccCrazy

The bike is turning out great, hard to believe it's teh same frame...:thumbsup:

How many cans of the metal speck did it take to cover the frame and forks?? I bought some of the orange they had a few years ago and it didn't seem like it had much pigment, it was fairly transparent and didn't cover very well..

How many cans of the metal speck did it take to cover the frame and forks?? I bought some of the orange they had a few years ago and it didn't seem like it had much pigment, it was fairly transparent and didn't cover very well..
Use a base color next time. :thumbsup:

Thanks. I coated the whole thing with Pematex rust treatment then used Duplicolor spray paint.
Haven't tried that stuff, does it work good? I use an etching primer then build up with regular primer between sanding.

Looks great, can't wait to see it done. :thumbsup:

Hows the emblem? Need to barrow a rivet tool?

1stlegendtx

The Green I used on the Cat was fine and took two cans. The Blue on the Bonanza was inconsistent. One can almost seemed like it was flat and didn't cover well. It took three cans of the Blue and it needed clear. The Green Cat has no clear on it....yet.:wink:

1stlegendtx

Haven't tried that stuff, does it work good? I use an etching primer then build up with regular primer between sanding.

Looks great, can't wait to see it done. :thumbsup:

Hows the emblem? Need to barrow a rivet tool?
I started using the rust treatment during the two years we lived in Florida (you can just about watch things rust there it so fast:doah:). It seems to work good. I cleaned up the emblem as good as I could without damaging it. I installed it last night and will take some more pictures later today. Thanks for the rivet tool offer.:thumbsup:

125ccCrazy

The Green I used on the Cat was fine and took two cans. The Blue on the Bonanza was inconsistent. One can almost seemed like it was flat and didn't cover well. It took three cans of the Blue and it needed clear. The Green Cat has no clear on it....yet.:wink:
wow 3 cans plus clear, thats a pretty expensive rattle can paint job... That metal speck is $10 a can here........ It looks awesome though, very nicely done...:thumbsup: One trick with that kind of paint is to use a base coat with a simular color like a blue base for the blue, red for red.... Buy a cheaper can of DC touch up and spray the frame followed by the metal speck color, this will reduce the number of coats to build the color up...

1stlegendtx

wow 3 cans plus clear, thats a pretty expensive rattle can paint job... That metal speck is $10 a can here........ It looks awesome though, very nicely done...:thumbsup: One trick with that kind of paint is to use a base coat with a simular color like a blue base for the blue, red for red.... Buy a cheaper can of DC touch up and spray the frame followed by the metal speck color, this will reduce the number of coats to build the color up...
Yea, I should have taken the one that came out flat back to the store.:doah: I think that when I get to the Ruttman I will try the cheaper base coat.:thumbsup:Thanks. I striped off the top coat of paint off the Ruttman and it looks like it was originally Orange.

george3

That is an old painters trick. you can also change finish color by doing different base colors, or lighter blue with the finish blue, that is if the finish paint has enough clear to it like you said that paint has. Beware some of them colors are enamel and some lacquer. lacquer will not stick to enamel with out sanding first. If you are trying to paint wet on wet make sure they are the same.

george3

yea and it works good too. what I was trying to get at was. the base color changes the finish color. I used a silverish base before the top color. did another test with black because I wanted a black cherry color. the black color gave me maroon. I already have a maroon taco. Also I was not trying to compete aginst this guys nice job on the bonanza.

Last edited: