3/4" Shaft 10T Max Torque Clutch Question

I am doing the harbor freight blue 6.5hp clone swap on my doodle bug. I really wanted to do the swap today, so I ran all over town trying to find all the parts needed, but no luck. HF was sold out of the engines until Friday. I picked up a 10 tooth 3/4" Max Torque clutch from a local lawn equipment shop though. My question is, how would it perform with the stock rear sprocket?

The rear sprocket on a doodle bug uses #35 chain. I don't believe Max torque has a 3/4" shaft clutch with 10 teeth in #35 chain. I think it is more like 12 teeth. 10 teeth sounds like you got a clutch for #41 chain and that won't be compatible with the rear sprocket.

Well, I took the clutch back today and had good luck. The guy that helped me yesterday asked an old timer there if they had a #35 chain clutch instead of the #40 and he said yes! It's a 12T and it was $25 instead of the $57 I paid for the other one! After that I decided to stop by the pawn shop down the street just to see if they might have a 6.5hp motor. I looked around and didn't see anything. A guy that worked there asked me if he could help and I told him I was looking for a 6.5hp motor. They happened to have a go kart in the back with a 6.5hp 66015-0VGA greyhound clone from HF that didn't look that old. It's still shiny. They want $160 for the kart w/engine. They didn't want to part it out. I asked him if he would do a trade the stock 2.5hp engine and weed eater plus cash, and he said he probably would. Even better, I was telling a buddy at work about it and he said he would buy the kart frame from me :D Hopefully the engine is good.

Oh another thing I found out yesterday is that Martin Sprocket has a manufacturing plant here where I live and they sell them in town, so I will have easy access to those as well :D I might have to start me a little mini bike performance shop since I can get a lot of the parts local :D

Last edited:

Ratbike

Well, I took the clutch back today and had good luck. The guy that helped me yesterday asked an old timer there if they had a #35 chain clutch instead of the #40 and he said yes! It's a 12T and it was $25 instead of the $57 I paid for the other one! After that I decided to stop by the pawn shop down the street just to see if they might have a 6.5hp motor. I looked around and didn't see anything. A guy that worked there asked me if he could help and I told him I was looking for a 6.5hp motor. They happened to have a go kart in the back with a 6.5hp 66015-0VGA greyhound clone from HF that didn't look that old. It's still shiny. They want $160 for the kart w/engine. They didn't want to part it out. I asked him if he would do a trade the stock 2.5hp engine and weed eater plus cash, and he said he probably would. Even better, I was telling a buddy at work about it and he said he would buy the kart frame from me :D Hopefully the engine is good.

Oh another thing I found out yesterday is that Martin Sprocket has a manufacturing plant here where I live and they sell them in town, so I will have easy access to those as well :D I might have to start me a little mini bike performance shop since I can get a lot of the parts local :D
That's Awesome!! Amazing what little calling and asking around will get you! If you play your cards right you'll be able to resell the go kart with the 2.5hp motor on it and get all of your money back and have a free motor!!!!!! Thats how I do it....its pretty easy if your willing to do the work...:hammer::thumbsup: