303 Wankel Azusa Build

Hey guys,

Thought I'd register and share something cool I'm working on. I've always skimmed this site when googling minibike stuff so where better to post my junk lol

What we got here is an engine thats way too big to be on an azusa frame. This 303 Wankel Rotary engine came off of a 1971 arctic cat panther. I've tried resurrecting the sled but too many things need fixing, so I'm taking what I can before scrapping it.

I rebuilt the engine about half a year ago. Had it apart down to the rotor, de-carbonized everything very carefully and reassembled. Has good compression.

As you may note I did a little carb conversion to a mikuni VM30 roundslide since the original tillotson that came with the motor is known to be junk. Machined an adapter out of 6061 aluminum billet to bolt up the mikuni to the tillotson flange with a smooth transition.

Today tried welding the exhaust with my buzz box, blew a hole through the first tubing even on 40 amps. gotta take it to the local meineke tomorrow and have them mig it. just a straight through header with an RLV silencer at a 90 degree bend to clear the back tire. should keep it warm and sticky haha.

also got some drive accessories off the old sled, some gears and a double roller drive chain. might not use the cvt trans off the sled because it is ridiculously huge for a minibike lol. will have to machine an adapter to bolt up a 1" keyed shaft clutch, then make a jackshaft to line it up with the rear wheel sprocket.

0601161534.jpg 0601162019.jpg 0601162020.jpg 0601162021.jpg

That is just too cool. What type clutch are you going to use? Any idea what the idle RPM is?
Thanks rob,

I'm going to go with a regular 1" keyed shaft clutch, like something you'd see on a gx390 honda kart.

Biggest issue is gonna be lining up the clutch with the wheel sprocket. I'll probably have to make a jackshaft of sorts to take the input of the engine and line it up to the wheel.

Theres a vid of a go kart with the same engine and he's got the setup i want:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dTkTnQBh6MQ

Wow...I recall riding Panthers back in the day...Me thinks you need a serious set of wheelie bars or a longer (and wider) frame for that beast. That thing is going to make those tires burn up in a milli-second!:thumbsup:

Yeah I'm going to have to implement some wheelie bars, the 303 was never the fastest sled but it sure was a stump puller. Sled weighed almost 500lbs without the rider, had a hitch for all the crap you wanted to drag around too