420 predator/comet torque converter

Personally i'd ditch the torque converter because the 420 has a lot of power and will slip a lot. I'd go with a 1" enforcer clutch they're around 220$ though, but can take all the power and abuse along with it. Just my 2 cents. However if you use the torque converter make sure you get one rated up to 25hp.

Thanks for the input. l plan to do this project over the winter. When looking at the plate that bolts to the engine it looked a bit off. But this was just a quick look see. I'll get
things out again and look closer. It is the 40 series comet. We'll see how it goes.

DJ

DJ,

Do they make a plate mounted, 40 series TAV? I thought that the largest plate mounted made was the 30 series and the 40 series needed to have the jackshaft support be attached directly to the frame to able to take the torque/power of the larger engines. :shrug:

Paul

DJ,

I was thinking the worst, a 30 series backplate with a 40 series TAV. :doah: If it was out of alignment with no torque, I can't imagine the alignment with torque applied. :laugh:

On a 420 cc, I think you need to go with the 40 series to not run the risk of breaking the TAV. I think the 30 series is only good up to 10 hp, while the 420 cc engines can produce approx. 13 hp (conservatively speaking, ratings by manufacturers go as high as 16 hp)

Paul

if you use the 30 comet it'll be one big headache. If you want to do it right grab a 40 series torque converter or 1" enforcer clutch you'll thank me later.

First I looked for the 1" enforcer clutch, can find hillards but not the enforcer, can you
direct me were to find one?
Not trying to disagree about the comet, but the TAV2 reads that it is good up to 13 hp, it
is a 30 series. I don't plan to disengage the governor, will proably have to change the air
filter and exhaust due to the frame I'm using, but I figure it would be close enough to handle the motor, most things are engineered for a 10% to 20% overage or strength above ratings.

GX-390 clone, TAV-2, I'm 245, this has the origional belt, shows some wear. Bike has probably 20-30hr's run time between me,family and friends. It works very good no issue at all. I was told here that it would just shread belts by some resident experts. I'd put one on the 420 in a heart beat and ride the hell out of it. Walt

GX-390 clone, TAV-2, I'm 245, this has the origional belt, shows some wear. Bike has probably 20-30hr's run time between me,family and friends. It works very good no issue at all. I was told here that it would just shread belts by some resident experts. I'd put one on the 420 in a heart beat and ride the hell out of it. Walt
That mutha uppa got some work into it right thar....:thumbsup:

How goes it walt ?

That mutha uppa got some work into it right thar....:thumbsup:

How goes it walt ?
Hey JD, it goes good, trying to get priorities right with too many ideas in my head. Fat tire bike, V-twin build, build a 390 honda motor I got here, I'm all screwed up and its building time. sno blower runs:thumbsup: Walt

First I looked for the 1" enforcer clutch, can find hillards but not the enforcer, can you
direct me were to find one?
Not trying to disagree about the comet, but the TAV2 reads that it is good up to 13 hp, it
is a 30 series. I don't plan to disengage the governor, will proably have to change the air
filter and exhaust due to the frame I'm using, but I figure it would be close enough to handle the motor, most things are engineered for a 10% to 20% overage or strength above ratings.
Not trying to argue, I was only relating what I remembered. My memory is probably off. I just had the impression after reading the specs that if I had to replace the TAV on my Super Bronc, assuming I can get the 10 HP Tech engine running, I would need to stick to the 40 series. It's all good. :thumbsup:

Paul

Paul:
Bought the bronc with no motor. Ran across the predator for good price, figured it would
have a bit more power. The idea of going to the enforcer may come about if the comet won't bolt up right. Appreciate the thoughts.

DJ

Do you have the TC already?? I do not think there's that much of a difference between the 390 and 420, not enough to pi$$ off the TC. If you do use the TC-2, I can show you what I did to get the TC-2 to fit mine. I would bet the shaft side of the 420 is the same as the 390. Just a thought, Walt

Paul:
Bought the bronc with no motor. Ran across the predator for good price, figured it would
have a bit more power. The idea of going to the enforcer may come about if the comet won't bolt up right. Appreciate the thoughts.

DJ
DJ,

Does the motor fit on the bronc? I have not heard anything definitive.

Paul

Waltsuz:
Not sure what the TC-2 is, the comet I have is a TAV-2. It has a cast back or mounting plate.
Think your right on the shafts, the 420 has a 1" according the manufacture spec,"s.

DJ