5hp Briggs governor arm leaking oil?

Hey everyone, I was working on my other 5hp Briggs tonight, I've had this motor for a while and last time I messed with it the governor pivot arm was leaking from the motor side. So I messed around with it again and got it fired back up. Why would it be leaking oil where the pivot arm is? I saw that there is a small bronze looking bushing there, could that be the culprit???

Yes, it could be leaking from the governor pivot arm bushing. If your engine is the five HP flattie, 130202 model for example, you might try looking in the many on line parts breakdown manuals for it.

I used the 130202 model and came up with governor bushing part number 690508. I do not know the "official" method of removing the bushing, but I'd use a drill to get it thin enough to easily pop out of the bore without elongating the bore. Depending on how the clearance was for the new bushing, I'd press it in cold against a warmed block if tight, and if loose, would install it with my new friend, Loctite 620 green which would make it there forever. My two cent's worth on a slow news day. :)

Of course you could use a felt washer on it to suck up slack and mitigate some of the seepage like that. Others might champion the use of JB weld.

Yes, it could be leaking from the governor pivot arm bushing. If your engine is the five HP flattie, 130202 model for example, you might try looking in the many on line parts breakdown manuals for it.

I used the 130202 model and came up with governor bushing part number 690508. I do not know the "official" method of removing the bushing, but I'd use a drill to get it thin enough to easily pop out of the bore without elongating the bore. Depending on how the clearance was for the new bushing, I'd press it in cold against a warmed block if tight, and if loose, would install it with my new friend, Loctite 620 green which would make it there forever. My two cent's worth on a slow news day. :)

Of course you could use a felt washer on it to suck up slack and mitigate some of the seepage like that. Others might champion the use of JB weld.

Thank your sir, it is a flatty engine. I can't remember the model of the top of my head. From my research a while back on this I believe it does have the bushing, so I may have to buy one and get it fixed. If I were to go the JB weld route, how do suggest applying it on there?

How about the crankcase breather, if it gets gunked up could that be causing pressure to build up and push the oil out?
Good call as well, I will check this and see if that may be the prob , I had that happen on a 3 wheeler a few years ago, "dirt divers" got in the crankcase tube and packed it full of mudd

Thank your sir, it is a flatty engine. I can't remember the model of the top of my head. From my research a while back on this I believe it does have the bushing, so I may have to buy one and get it fixed. If I were to go the JB weld route, how do suggest applying it on there?
Oh no, I am not a fan of JB weld for much of anything other than gluing things together, or as fairing compound. What I meant was that some folks opt for this as a quick fix way of mitigating issues instead of properly dealing with them. They are after all, lawn mower engines.

Oh no, I am not a fan of JB weld for much of anything other than gluing things together, or as fairing compound. What I meant was that some folks opt for this as a quick fix way of mitigating issues instead of properly dealing with them. They are after all, lawn mower engines.
Oh oh. Ok I got ya. Yea I'm not crazy about goin the cheap way for something like this

Quick update, I checked the crankcase breather and breather tube, there were not clogs and air flowed through them. So I'm guessing I will be needing a bushing for this coming up soon.