5hp flathead governor bypassing?

something is messed up with with all the crazy linkage on my briggs and after reading a few things was wondering if my engine will really grenade if i just bypass the governor? seems like some people said they left it on and just had linkage going straight to the carb and no problems. others said you need a billet flywheel and rod. also heard you need to remove the gov from the engine or it will blow apart. i saw all the pictures of peoples linkage setups and the wheels are turning in my head if i cant get it to work right stock. also asking because id rather not split the cases. it would be nice to have throttle return.

being on a few forums and working on a few old motorcycles i often times dont know what to trust when reading some things.

That applies on THIS forum as well.
Michael
LOL, yep.

a billet rod is good insurance but if you don't over rev the engine and if the rod is in good shape you will be fine.
^^^ This is the correct answer from a guy who knows as much about these engines as anyone. Obviously, you don't want to twist the throttle to the stop and hold it there. It'll blow just like any other engine.

Here is one way to rig up a throttle on a BS flattie:

Here is another one:

thanks guys! Havasu Dave i like that setup on the gold engine. thats the one with the KT100 swivel right?

think im going to try and get it to work right stock today. stock these throttle have no return right? you have to physically twist it back to close the throttle?

thanks guys! Havasu Dave i like that setup on the gold engine. thats the one with the KT100 swivel right?

think im going to try and get it to work right stock today. stock these throttle have no return right? you have to physically twist it back to close the throttle?
Yes it is. GEM 13-something. Easy to find. The return from the compression spring on the carb is enough to get a properly installed cable/throttle assembly to spring back without having to do any twisting. But you have to keep the kinks out, etc. Also have to enlarge and existing hole on the throttle plate. Glad we could help.

well got a new bicycle cable and housing today and got it put back together and working sweet stock with some minor tweaks. the old cable was kinked and binding. also didnt realize the little springs around the rods on the carb linkage where to take slop out. after hooking one back up the engine now goes to proper idle.

im pretty stoked!

you will get valve float long before the flywheel or rod goes on a briggs. not so much on a tecumseh. Seems when rods let go its mostly because of an oiling problem either current or neglected in the past and caused damage. I dont worry at all about loosing the gov on a stock briggs. once you upgrade cam springs and compression then you need to start paying mind to youre revs