5hp with a carb from a 6hp?

R

rustybike

I have a 5hp engine and I wanted to know if a 6hp carb would work? I was gonna put a 16" inch straight pipe exhaust on it.

Last edited by a moderator:
R

rustybike

It came off a snowblower. Its not an old one. I just want a little more power from it. I will check it out in the morning to see which model it is.

Well, like I said before, a 6 HP carb is most likely going to be the same as a 5 HP carb. The OHH50 - OHH65 (rated 5 - 6.5 HP) all have the same carb, and I think an H50 and H60 carb is the same. If you have a non adjustable carb, a adjustable carb will be a big upgrade, and will be better suited for tuning the engine for more power with the straight pipe.

Find out what it is for sure, and we'll have a better idea of what would be an upgrade. Below is are pics to find out whether you have an adjustable or non adjustable carb.

Adjustable:
rebuild-tecumseh-carburator-800x800.jpg

Non adjustable:
Lawn-Mower-Carb-Carburetor-For-TECUMSEH-OHH65-OH195EA-OHH50-640060-640060A-OHH55-640222-640306A-.jpg

The easiest way to tell is to see it has the adjustment screw on the bottom. A non adjustable carb will appear to just have the brass bolt holding the bowl on.

R

rustybike

Its a HSSK50. No adjustment screw on the bottom. Should I buy a bigger jet? I definitely want an adjustable carb. I think I'm gonna post an ad in the wanted section.

You could do that, but you'd probably come out better buying a new carb. Here's replacement adjustable carb for a H50 and H60. It should work great on your HSSK50.

R

rustybike

Where should I buy one? Around how much would a dealer charge for that? I could find a 5-6hp Tecumseh engine that already has an adjustable carb for around $60.

R

rustybike

Thanks for the link. I don't have a PayPal or eBay account though. Maybe my sister will order it for me.