6.5 upgrade...clutch engaged constantly..help.

Haven't posted in a while. I just finished my third 6.5 upgrade and like the last one I'm having a specific problem. Unfortunately I can't remember for the life of me how I fixed it last time so I'm here looking for help.

I installed the the Harbor Freight motor and new clutch. I have everything fine and dandy with the throttle return as well. Problem is when I start it up and the clutch is always engaged. It's not bad with the choke on..i can sit on it and keep it from rolling even though it wants to but the moment I turn it off (the choke) the bike just opens up and its full speed even though I'm not even touching the throttle. The throttle isn't jammed open either. It just goes full rpm for some reason.

Thanks

I guess its just a very very fast idle but enough where the bike will wheelie out from under me if I try and hold it with the break and my feet. Adjusting the idle screw really didnt do much.

MrKen

if I remember coorectly, when I did our conversion, the screw/bolt that attached the throttle cable to the engine was rubbing just a bit on the underside of the air filter housing, just enough to cause slight friction so the idle did not decrease all the way. When the air cleaner is off you won't know this. I used a shorter bolt. Maybe not your issue, but maybe..

Did you loosen up the nut that holds the throttle assembly? It's got to be loose enough to move freely and let the throttle return to idle.

I'm sure you've done this as it's your 3rd one, but you never know.

cxbra

I guess its just a very very fast idle but enough where the bike will wheelie out from under me if I try and hold it with the break and my feet. Adjusting the idle screw really didnt do much.
I have $2 on it that says your idle is set WAYYY too high. One way to tell if your getting too much idle is to look at the carb. Do you see the stopper (on MY 98cc engine its a black tab that opens and closes at the top of the carb)? If that stopper is open even just a tad bit it means your "opening the trottle", knowingly or not. Even at idle, the stopper should be closed.

Check your idle, then your throttle linkage to make sure thats not stuck open.