68 Taco 22

80g

I am starting on my 68 Taco 22. Thanks to you guys, I know what it is. I figured that the first thing would be get the engine in order. I am pretty sure that it is the original engine. But it does have another blower housing on it. I am awaiting parts to reassemble. I will post more as I go. My 6 yr old twins are stoked about getting it together. We dropped the seat off to a friend's dad to upholster the seat. Going to lower the seat a little for them. Using some left over carbon fiber vinyl from a motorcycle seat project. Black with silver piping. That is about all for now. Will keep you all posted.

80g

Here are some pics of the carb and tank setup. I found a few minutes tonight to get this much put together. Hopefully it will stay looking like this for a while.

80g

Here of some pics of the engine now that it is back together. I was pleased that it started on the first pull. A little shot in the carb and it fired right up. It has new rings, I ground the valves and new points & condenser. The silver shows every little paw print. Hopefully it will hold up.

:thumbsup: Nice looking...One thing worth mentioning most if not all Taco's had center pull briggs motors..But I could be mistaken.
Also your tires look like eliminators if they are there very hard to come by..:thumbsup:

80g

Thanks for the comments. Never noticed the center pull. After questioning here on the forums, I think that I do have a 80202 briggs with the incorrect blower housing. It has a 60102 model number. The 8C # on the head has everyone thinking it is a 3HP. Looking at parts diagrams online, there are too many differences for me to have the 60102. This is my first restore so any advice is helpful. Is there any sure way to know for sure what I have? They are eliminator tires. They are really bad shape. Dry rotted and just about wore down. Why would anyone want to hold onto tires that are in that bad of shape? Other than cleaning and putting on a project that is on a shelf, is there any reason to hold onto these tires?

Not sure about the numbers on your motor from what I remember there is a threat addressing the serial numbers on a briggs motor and what each number represents.
As for your eliminator tires I would clean them up and put them on a shelf for safe keeping just in case you ever decide to part ways with your 22 they might help you to get a better price.